Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Helena! Welcome to the reef!

So sorry to hear about your father.

As far as diving in, I'd say do it head first! Know what your system consists of mechanically and the living things. Have an idea of Where you want this reef to be in a few years and worth toward that.

For every question you have, there are likely multiple correct answers. This is why knowing your system is important. The answer given by someone running a 20 gallon cube or a 300 gallon FOWLR tank may not be applicable to your reef.

Choosing a mentor is a great idea.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looking Coral Reef GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! Great looking set up so far, which will go a long ways. Be patient and try to keep things as natural as possible. If there is a natural solution to a problem, take that route 90% of the time. Start with a strong clean up crew and move on slowly from there. Remember to sit back and enjoy it from time to time as well!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I'm Helena, im completely new to the hobby. My father passed away two weeks ago after just starting a reef tank.
Ive watched hundreds of youtube videos, read two books and i study veterinary medicine so now im a bit more confident i can make this work.
But ive come to realise everyone does this differently. Whatever question I have there are hundreds of different answers.
How do you find your own path in this hobby? How to know who to take advice from?
I dont really want to learn by trail and error considering those are living beings.
Its a beautiful hobby I just wish there was a consensus on certain things.
Also here are pictures of our set up.

IMG_20220731_133943.jpg
IMG_20220731_134607.jpg

Hi Helena. I'm Lisa. It sucks your dad passed away and I'm sorry for your loss.

Welcome! Glad you joined. I'd recommend using Bulk Reef Supply YouTube videos for knowledge to get your baseline of knowledge.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Joe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I'm Helena, im completely new to the hobby. My father passed away two weeks ago after just starting a reef tank.
Ive watched hundreds of youtube videos, read two books and i study veterinary medicine so now im a bit more confident i can make this work.
But ive come to realise everyone does this differently. Whatever question I have there are hundreds of different answers.
How do you find your own path in this hobby? How to know who to take advice from?
I dont really want to learn by trail and error considering those are living beings.
Its a beautiful hobby I just wish there was a consensus on certain things.
Also here are pictures of our set up.

IMG_20220731_133943.jpg
IMG_20220731_134607.jpg
Hi Helena, nice setup! You will learn who you can and can’t trust(especially on you tube!)

Back