Hi, my name is GG - thank you for excepting me to this forum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Most catfish are scaleless and do not respond well with methylene blue. For freshwater, start with raising temperature and adding aquarium salt, Not sea salt. If no success, ick cure by aquarium products should work. Do NOT use copper based treatment with catfish

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! For the guppy and Molly's you can slowly make the water brackish one they prefer brackish water and 2 freshwater parasites can survive in brackish water. For the rest make a dip of saltwater and hydrogen peroxide dip fish for 1 min twice a day and add zoo General cure to the tank! That's how I would do it!

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! For the guppy and Molly's you can slowly make the water brackish one they prefer brackish water and 2 freshwater parasites can survive in brackish water. For the rest make a dip of saltwater and hydrogen peroxide dip fish for 1 min twice a day and add API General cure to the tank! That's how I would do it

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r-gif-welcome.gif

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tropical fish farm. i grow Guppy, molly, Swordtails and some unique cat fish.
from time to time we are facing some hard parasites we can't get read off, and i wanted to try and get some help with it.
the last one we are fighting with is a internal fungus called Ichthyosporidium.
does anybody know about an effective treatment?

thanks in advanced
GG

From my past fish breeding experience i know that this type of internal fungus was hard to treat. I do not know if modern treatments have been discovered.

The disease is caused by a Phycomycetes, Ichthyophonus (=Ichthyosporidium) hoferi
Like any disease, poor conditions do not help the problem.
It can be managed in a small aquarium setting with the medication of food and the destruction of any fish showing symptoms.
Phenoxetholor / Chloromycetin can help however i dont think its really treatable once its in your farm system.
Removal of all fish and sterilization is recommended. Infected fish can show no symptoms and spread it. Making it hard to selective remove diseased individuals before they can transmit to others.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Though this is a marine fish forum primarily, there are knowledgeable people here in the freshwater world as well. I hope some of them chime in soon!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back