Hi need advise.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enlarging an existing hole is possible. It would be best to make a guide (can be made of a piece of scrap 1x wood). You drill the correct sized hole in the wood and find a way to hold it in place over your existing hole. It has to be solid so it doesn't slip while you're getting the new hole started. Go very slowly and do not apply access pressure. The weight of the drill is about all the pressure you want. It will take some time to get through the glass but it can be done.

However...if you've never drill glass before, I'm not sure I would recommend starting with this project. I personally still use a wood guide even with new holes, but that's just me. If you have a local LFS that would do it, I would recommend that route. Just my $.02.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the bottom of the tank correct?

If it is the bottom most often these holes were drilled then the bottom was tempered or they drilled the tempered glass with special tools.

If you are talking about drilling the tempered panel of a tank I would probably have a glass shop do it.

It looks like those holes are drilled for supply and return of an external canister as it does not appear to have an internal overflow.

If it were me I would plug those holes and drill new holes in the back for a new overflow

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm it’s the bottom of the tank and no it’s not tempered glass as I’ve contacted the tanks manufacturer and they dont use tempered glass on there bases on there Roma 240 tanks. But I know a friend just done the exact tank through the base over original holes.

I’m now looking at using the two holes on the right for some bulkheads that will fit and run them as returns. Just looking at cutting two holes on the left for two down pipes.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some spare glass I’ll try to cut before I go at the tank. As I’m a novice at everything. But I built a sump tank from scratch

70C9EA69-7092-4FD0-B3CE-D54C0B96D608.jpeg

B8F129C2-8F1E-4D2E-9E00-B67E7ED7293D.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I’m now looking at using the two holes on the right for some bulkheads that will fit and run them as returns. Just looking at cutting two holes on the left for two down pipes.

I think this a much better idea.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not perfect but it’s water tight. Also had t cut the glass from 18” to 15”

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There some cheap bulkheads that will allow 32mm pipe via a 32mm hole. But others I got are 42mm wide which are the ones I was after using but hey it paid off to keep both set at hand.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm it’s the bottom of the tank and no it’s not tempered glass as I’ve contacted the tanks manufacturer and they dont use tempered glass on there bases on there Roma 240 tanks. But I know a friend just done the exact tank through the base over original holes.

I’m now looking at using the two holes on the right for some bulkheads that will fit and run them as returns. Just looking at cutting two holes on the left for two down pipes.
That's good to know.

So far your down pipes what type of overflow are you trying to use?

Your holes may need to be in back not bottom

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Herbie overflow as I want it as silent as I can get it. Also I’ve finished the cutting of the tank this afternoon.

Two test holes in some 12mm and away it was.

63F90A99-503A-4A12-8FB7-1CAF63FB2344.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One emergency and one full siphon I hope as I’m going for round 3-5000l per hour with room for more running the maniflold. So I’m going for 8000l pump. To run it slower.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m adding this once I cut the base and added the pipes to tank. As the manifolds built under the tank and sump.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making it from glass cut to order as I got ha6 silicone for marine tanks. The adding weir tops.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in two minds about that one as plain glass is one thing but the back on tank been black since I had the tank. I would love to go blue all around but that’s not able to be done.

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unit prepped for the cutter tomorrow. Then it’s more plumbing before work. Then order some glass to size and a weir for the top of the glass. Just need to figure which ones to get.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in two minds about that one as plain glass is one thing but the back on tank been black since I had the tank. I would love to go blue all around but that’s not able to be done.
My thinking was to be able to keep pipes out of view as well as keep light out for potential algae growth

OP
OP
J

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have a look but would like another colour. I’m looking at perspex to line the inside but unsure about it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back