Hi- new member... with ph- KH need

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- new member, been reading the historical blog entries and have appreciated everyone’s responses. I have set up a new tank after taking a 15 year break ( paused with back to back kids). Had 120gal with metal halides, protein skimmer, sump, the works. Now doing 29 nano.
Tank it set up with reef rock, sand.... cycled until good parameters. All was good for 6 mo. Then I purchased an RO unit knowing that was important and I can’t seem to keep my PH and KH in line. My ph has dropped to 8.0 and my KH is 12??? Any ideas to balance these. Afraid to add any Kalkwasser as the KH is already too high.
Going to add more surface tension to help up ph. Do a water change. I do a 5 gal water change every 4-5 days and IV drip it in to not disrupt the balance. I have a lid on the tank sinceI have to cats. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
test the salt you are using for kh level some mix higher than others,where is your calcium at rt now?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the alk level on your salt bucket. If it is high you can choose another salt with lower alk level for your water change to bring down your alk level.

You can help raise your ph by co2 scrubber with a skimmer or air line to the skimmer from outside. Or by refugium/algae turf scrubber. Or open your windows to the room if you can.

Also later when your kh does need raising, dosing with kalk or soda ash can raise your ph.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Welcome to Reef2Reef. I agree with the two comments posted. Water change and soda ash will help you level out. I typically do about a tablespoon per 5g. Add your other parameters so folks can get a full picture of what you’re dealing with. Looking forward to seeing your tank!!! Keep us posted

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH is fine at 8 so I wouldn’t start messing with that or all sorts of things can happen, generally bad

Just lower the alkalinity by either not adding any supplement your using or with water changes using a salt with a lower alkalinity. A good general target is around 8 - 8.5 dKH

On the salt if your using something like Red Sea coral pro that mixes to around 12.6 anyway, depending on the salinity

And Welcome to R2R!!!

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R...

giphy.gif

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
test the salt you are using for kh level some mix higher than others,where is your calcium at rt now?
Your pH is fine at 8 so I wouldn’t start messing with that or all sorts of things can happen, generally bad

Just lower the alkalinity by either not adding any supplement your using or with water changes using a salt with a lower alkalinity. A good general target is around 8 - 8.5 dKH

On the salt if your using something like Red Sea coral pro that mixes to around 12.6 anyway, depending on the salinity

And Welcome to R2R!!!
Thanks,
I appreciate the feedback. I did a tank change of 4 gal and KH dropped to 9 which is better. PH has remained stable at 8. All other aspects are right on target. My torch frogspawn and elegance coral were robust today- back to normal. Think PH just dropped since we were at the river last week and The house was closed up. We only had a house sitter who didn’t do the normal airing out the house in the /pm. On a small tank it makes a difference.
Thanks everyone for the welcome and feedback- this gal appreciates it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
8.0 is acceptable. You can tweak gradually with addition of soda ash.

welcome38.jpg

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
I appreciate the feedback. I did a tank change of 4 gal and KH dropped to 9 which is better. PH has remained stable at 8. All other aspects are right on target. My torch frogspawn and elegance coral were robust today- back to normal. Think PH just dropped since we were at the river last week and The house was closed up. We only had a house sitter who didn’t do the normal airing out the house in the /pm. On a small tank it makes a difference.
Thanks everyone for the welcome and feedback- this gal appreciates it!

I will definitely change out my salt. I watched a comparison of the 2019 salt best of best and think I will go with the tropic Marin brand- pro reef salt. Consistency and quick dissolve are critical in this small ecosystem. Plus, looks like it leaves less film/ gunk- less maintenance.

would love your opinions and which salt you guys are using.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
at this point leave be and monitor you have just dropped from 12dkh to 9 ,is ok the calcium around 450 ,alk will slowly drop to 8 and w the new water cal should be right in line

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back