Hi! Newbie Rich's reef from Ormond Beach, FL

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! Wow. I can feel your energy and excitement from your introduction! :)
Sounds like it was destiny that you found your tanks and are getting started in one of the most intriguing, fun, frustrating, exciting and financial liquidation hobbies around. ;)
LOVE the old video games. They hold a certain charm in their simplicity. Space Invadors was my favorite Atari game, but I was a stone cold killer in the arcade with Gyruss, Galaga and, well....ah hem....Dig-Dug. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
RICH'S REEF

RICH'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome fellow Floridian to R2R and your new reefing family.
Aww. :sniff: that's so sweet! :)

Welcome to R2R! I always loved Tempest, but apparently they were hard to repair for some reason and there are not many around.
I have owned 4 Tempests over the years. I currently own a fully working Tempest cocktail. Tempest has skyrocketed in value along with many other old vector games as of late. In FL these are priced very high, if you can even find them. The vector monitors are becoming very hard to find.

OP
OP
RICH'S REEF

RICH'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Rich ! I'm just a ways up the road from you in Jax. So Ya picked up a 12 gl Then a 40gl right? Which one do You want to setup 1st? Believe me I know all about a low dollar build ! It can be done but will require some compromise. Whatcha got hand so far?
Maybe a pump ,overflow, stuff like that.
Hi Craker! I have already got these going, kinda bare bones right now. I will be posting "Poor Rich's Reef" soon!

OP
OP
RICH'S REEF

RICH'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! Wow. I can feel your energy and excitement from your introduction! :)
Sounds like it was destiny that you found your tanks and are getting started in one of the most intriguing, fun, frustrating, exciting and financial liquidation hobbies around. ;)
LOVE the old video games. They hold a certain charm in their simplicity. Space Invadors was my favorite Atari game, but I was a stone cold killer in the arcade with Gyruss, Galaga and, well....ah hem....Dig-Dug. :rolleyes:
Muahahaha:cough:ahahahaha
Yes. I am addicted already!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back