Hi there from SW Washington State

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You've joined a great community with lots of friendly folks willing to help if needed. Best of luck with your tank build!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, welcome to R2R and the saltwater journey :)

You will get a lot of great help here, just ask away!!

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
9EFD3EE0-EC5B-4C28-B94F-EA76E60A4225.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
sherb

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcomes everyone and a special shout-out to my fellow PNW members.

Can anyone recommend a good LFS in the Portland area? The Wet Spot is my FW LFS, but alas, they're FW...

@NeonRabbit221B, you'll be pleased to hear this: The 40g breeder was my second choice after the 55. I was thinking total volume would be better, so I picked up a 55 + cabinet stand a few days ago (craig$list opportunity) then spent a few days trying to figure out how to get a decent-sized sump in the stand. Last night I picked up two 10g tanks from Petco's $ per gallon sale, and they're too wide by 1/4" of an inch! Plus I would've had to plumb them together. There's hacking, and then there's too much hacking. So, throwing in the towel on the 55 and going with the 40g breeder + 20g sump (also both from Petco's sale).

Now on to installing the overflow and finding a skimmer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcomes everyone and a special shout-out to my fellow PNW members.

Can anyone recommend a good LFS in the Portland area? The Wet Spot is my FW LFS, but alas, they're FW...

@NeonRabbit221B, you'll be pleased to hear this: The 40g breeder was my second choice after the 55. I was thinking total volume would be better, so I picked up a 55 + cabinet stand a few days ago (craig$list opportunity) then spent a few days trying to figure out how to get a decent-sized sump in the stand. Last night I picked up two 10g tanks from Petco's $ per gallon sale, and they're too wide by 1/4" of an inch! Plus I would've had to plumb them together. There's hacking, and then there's too much hacking. So, throwing in the towel on the 55 and going with the 40g breeder + 20g sump (also both from Petco's sale).

Now on to installing the overflow and finding a skimmer.
Ive never been here yet but i always here a ton of good things about cuttle fish and corals in portland.

reefrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cuttlefish is amazing, and they help out with solid advice (sadly some shops don’t so be cautious) and I e heard a lot of people buy equity through them.

Seahorse is also great, they have lots of plumbing parts too.

Premium Aquarium in Salem is also a good stop, they often have some unique clean up crew options

And of course the legend Rudy at Golden Basket is open to the public on Saturdays for a few hours (or was pre-covid).. he’s livestock only so that’s probably a few months away for you

Be sure to check out the local club - PNWMAS both the forum and Facebook group

Back