Hi there from SW Washington State

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! My name is Tim and I've had freshwater aquariums pretty much continuously since 1991. My largest build was a 90 gallon planted, all DIY. I've focused on heavily planted and slightly understocked tanks in part because I have a lot of non-aquatic interests that also take time and treasure (my family of four, home remodeling, hiking, kayaking, motorcycling, traveling) and also because I don't get a lot of joy from mundane maintenance work - some might call that "lazy" :D. I like the idea of creating biological systems that mostly take care of themselves.

So, here I am on R2R learning about SW and falling down the rabbit hole. It looks like this is a great community of folks.

I haven't built out an SW tank yet, but my plan started with FO, then FOWLR, and now I'm thinking of going all-in on a reef tank using "the package" from Tampa Bay SW. Honestly, a complex community of inverts and small fish and coral interest me way more than a few larger fish - back to that self-sufficient system thing. I have space and budget for a 55 gallon. I know that tank isn't ideal - it's a dang narrow, turn it sideways and it disappears - but I've looked at some of the 55 builds on this site and it seems do-able.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to posting here in the future!

Thanks,

Tim

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! My name is Tim and I've had freshwater aquariums pretty much continuously since 1991. My largest build was a 90 gallon planted, all DIY. I've focused on heavily planted and slightly understocked tanks in part because I have a lot of non-aquatic interests that also take time and treasure (my family of four, home remodeling, hiking, kayaking, motorcycling, traveling) and also because I don't get a lot of joy from mundane maintenance work - some might call that "lazy" :D. I like the idea of creating biological systems that mostly take care of themselves.

So, here I am on R2R learning about SW and falling down the rabbit hole. It looks like this is a great community of folks.

I haven't built out an SW tank yet, but my plan started with FO, then FOWLR, and now I'm thinking of going all-in on a reef tank using "the package" from Tampa Bay SW. Honestly, a complex community of inverts and small fish and coral interest me way more than a few larger fish - back to that self-sufficient system thing. I have space and budget for a 55 gallon. I know that tank isn't ideal - it's a dang narrow, turn it sideways and it disappears - but I've looked at some of the 55 builds on this site and it seems do-able.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to posting here in the future!

Thanks,

Tim
Hello Tim and welcome! I started from the freshwater side (same as you the biggest one I ever had was a 90g fw) and it took a lot of time before I felt I could jump in...mind you that was 10 years ago though and if I had found this 10 years ago, it would have accelerated my timeline quite a bit. Have fun and good luck with your build!!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIM!!!! WELCOME!!!
The salty side of the aquarium hobby is a blast! Be advised, I would never consider a reef tank even remotely self-sufficient or able to "take care of themselves". Reef aquariums are labor and money intensive and take a serious commitment to be successful. There are many things that can be implemented to make it easier and more self-sufficient but be prepared to take an active role in your system if you want to be successful and have a thriving reef ecosystem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back