Hidden Predators

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
21,782
Reaction score
73,666
Location
Long Island NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed many times over the years especially when I have an exotic looking crustacean like a shrimp or crab, they disappear when they molt.
I think I figured out why.
Bristle worms. I have loads of bristle worms and for the most part I leave them alone. I think the problem is the large ones as they can get 5 or 6", some larger. You almost never see these guys and they grow quickly but I feel they actively hunt down soft bodied animals like freshly molted crabs and eat them. They have a great sense of smell and if I put a piece of clam in the dark, in a few minutes I will see them slithering out of the rocks toward it, then they will fight over it. A newly molted crab or shrimp will offer little resistance to these guys. I think we should trap the larger worms. We will never be able to eliminate al of them but if you are losing animals you may want to look into these predators.
Besides that, they are fine. :croc:
 
That's a good thought. I'm sure you have bristle worms much larger than that. I have one that is at least 18" long and my tank is only 9 years old.

CJ
 
yeah i have been noticing my hermits getting taken out my have to look into this
 
I may have some larger than that but if I found one 18" long I would start thinking that he is not just snacking on pods.
He must be sending out for Pizza, notice and fradulent charges on your credit card?
Watch out for the ones wearing motorcycle jackets.
IMG_1789.jpg
 
I just recently pulled out a large one. He wasn't huge, but was big enough to be pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if they do cause issues like this as they can get pretty large.
 
Here's one that I found when moving my tank about 2-1/2 years ago

BristleWorm.jpg


I may have some larger than that but if I found one 18" long I would start thinking that he is not just snacking on pods.
He must be sending out for Pizza, notice and fradulent charges on your credit card?

I'd been blaming my kids, but maybe you're right. Wow, that would make me feel really bad!

CJ
 
DSC_0203.jpg



This is one I found under a rock. It was 12"long. He was eating my CUC.
 
Wow, that sucker looks like he just shed his antlers
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new