Hiding Pump Wires INSIDE Your Tank? I HATE wires!

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is a closed loop
A closed loop is when you have a pump that pulls from the display and returns to the display creating a “closed loop” of flow within the display. They are typically external pumps and their primary purpose is to provide flow in the display. Most don’t use closed loops anymore and instead use power heads/wave makers since they are very efficient and create good controllable flow within the display. A closed loop differs from a return pump that pulls from the sump and returns to the display.

Closed loops still have a place in our hobby in my opinion and can be very useful. They allow you to provide flow in places that power heads don’t reach. Places such as behind the rocks or in my case, below the rocks where my closed loop pump returns to. In my case, it prevents detritus from settling under the rocks or on the bottom of the tank because my closed loop exhausts through a manifold that circles my overflow below my rock. I pump several thousand gallons an hour through my closed loop depending on the time of day and it’s also synched up with my Tunze’s via 0-10v control. When my Tunze’s go into flush mode to suspend detritus, my closed loop kicks up to about 6000 GPH and blasts any waste that might have settled on the bottom and suspends it so the Tunze’s can push it up high into the water column so that my returns can push the detritus into my overflow.

With a closed loop you can have it take water in from one side of the tank and return to another which is also nice since a power head pulls from the same place it pushes from. If you run a UV sterilzer like I do, a closed loop pump is the best/most effective place place to run one from since it’s constantly circulating water from the display back to the display without going through the sump. This makes for the most effervescent use of UV sterilization in terms of water born algae control, parasite reduction, nuisance bacteria control etc.

Last edited:

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed loop is when you have a pump that pulls from the display and returns to the display creating a “closed loop” of flow within the display. It’s primary purpose is to provide flow in the display. Most don’t use closed loops anymore and instead use power heads/wave makers since they are very efficient and create good controllable flow within the display. A closed loop differs from a return pump that pulls from the sump and returns to the display.

Closed loops still have a place in our hobby in my opinion and can be very useful. They allow you to provide flow in places that power heads don’t reach. Places such as behind the rocks or in my case, below the rocks where my closed loop pump returns to. In my case, it prevents detritus from settling under the rocks or on the bottom of the tank because my closed loop exhausts through a manifold that circles my overflow below my rock. I pump several thousand gallons an hour through my closed loop depending on the time of day and it’s also synched up with my Tunze’s via 0-10v control. When my Tunze’s go into flush mode to suspend detritus, my closed loop kicks up to about 6000 GPH and blasts any waste that might have settled on the bottom and suspends it so the Tunze’s can push it up high into the water column so that my returns can push the detritus into my overflow.

With a closed loop you can have it take water in from one side of the tank and return to another which is also nice since a power head pulls from the same place it pushes from. If you run a UV sterilzer like I do, a closed loop pump is the best/most effective place place to run one from since it’s constantly circulating water from the display back to the display without going through the sump. This makes for the most effervescent use of UV sterilization in terms of water born algae control, parasite reduction, nuisance bacteria control etc.
Nice explanation! I like the point of the UV!

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While thinking about water flow and pumps in my reef I have some to the conclusion that for best results I probably need to mix a variety of different pumps to achieve the vision I am after. That being said....

I HATE WIRES IN THE DISPLAY TANK!

Ok now that I got that off of my chest I wanted to see if any of you had ideas or solutions to best hide pump wires within your tank. I know I am missing out on some great pumps because of my wire prejudice because of it.

So please let's hear some ideas and pictures if you have them! Let's put together some nice solutions!

But when you have a reef like @Broadfield you don't even see the wires! HA!
29403166626_0f58264578_k.jpg
I’m in a similar situation where I’m going to put a pump inside my DT to do a direct loop system for my new UV sterilizer then to flow back into the DT. I’m not sure how to keep fish or debris out of it or how to hide it lol. I could use rock around it, but it’s the inlet that has me stumped lol.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed loop is when you have a pump that pulls from the display and returns to the display creating a “closed loop” of flow within the display. They are typically external pumps and their primary purpose is to provide flow in the display. Most don’t use closed loops anymore and instead use power heads/wave makers since they are very efficient and create good controllable flow within the display. A closed loop differs from a return pump that pulls from the sump and returns to the display.

So question, did you use a submersible pump for your UV sterilizer or external? I’m about to do that setup for my UV, but if I do a submersible pump how to keep fish and detritus out of the pump and system or if I do external what pump to use.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question, did you use a submersible pump for your UV sterilizer or external? I’m about to do that setup for my UV, but if I do a submersible pump how to keep fish and detritus out of the pump and system or if I do external what pump to use.
External closed loop pump. In my case an RD3 230 which can be run internal or external but I ran it external.

As for what pump to use, that depends on the UV’s requirements, your display size, plumbing setup etc. I wouldn’t submerge the pump in your display. Normally a closed loop is run from bulkheads goring in and out of the tank and you have a strainer on the intake to keep fish out. You could run a small submersible pump in your sump and have it return to the sump. That would be simple.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a 220 and we cut plexi to fit In between overflow an corner of tank drill where the pump is placed for cord install 6 magnets water proof or plastic coated of coarse and install tank must be empty of coarse but it's a lot cheaper and easier that running all vortech
Can you post a picture of this?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201224_235726.jpg

Nikola Tesla was born 100 years TOO EARLY!!!!

If he was living today, all reef equipment would be powered WIRELESSLY. Everything we plug-in to power would not have wires.

Dont believe me? You need to watch more History / Discovery Channel

WORD.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back