Hiding Pump Wires INSIDE Your Tank? I HATE wires!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While thinking about water flow and pumps in my reef I have some to the conclusion that for best results I probably need to mix a variety of different pumps to achieve the vision I am after. That being said....

I HATE WIRES IN THE DISPLAY TANK!

Ok now that I got that off of my chest I wanted to see if any of you had ideas or solutions to best hide pump wires within your tank. I know I am missing out on some great pumps because of my wire prejudice because of it.

So please let's hear some ideas and pictures if you have them! Let's put together some nice solutions!

But when you have a reef like @Broadfield you don't even see the wires! HA!
29403166626_0f58264578_k.jpg

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gyres and keep them at the top. There’s only about 2” total of wire in the tank and with a black background you can’t even really see unless you’re looking for them

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the gyres and keep them at the top. There’s only about 2” total of wire in the tank and with a black background you can’t even really see unless you’re looking for them

Huge PRO for Gyre!

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my gyre on the my tank for flow and not seeing much wires.The thing i don't like about it is taking it apart to clean which i am doing less then i should and not taking it all apart.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bite the bullet and buy Vortechs. I know I’m happy I did.

Other then that your best coarse of action is to place your pumps near the top.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hate wires showing in the tank and the only way I could figure out how to get around that issue is for the main flow to be created with a closed loop.
I also use Mp-40's for problem areas.
I've seen a few people try to say that closed loops are out of style or obsolete, but it sure beats loading a tank up with pumps with wires in the water.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bite the bullet and buy Vortechs. I know I’m happy I did.

Other then that your best coarse of action is to place your pumps near the top.

I don't have a problem spending the money plus I get deals.. :p

It's just I want the best combination!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate wires showing in the tank and the only way I could figure out how to get around that issue is for the main flow to be created with a closed loop.
I also use Mp-40's for problem areas.
I've seen a few people try to say that closed loops are out of style or obsolete, but it sure beats loading a tank up with pumps with wires in the water.

@Terence uses Sea Swirls and his tank is rocking!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to imagine some kind of something that would help keep wires straight, tucked into the lip of the frame or corners, etc..

Colorfulsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to imagine some kind of something that would help keep wires straight, tucked into the lip of the frame or corners, etc..
Do like me and my buddy did on his tank drill a piece of black plexi where you want the pumps runn behind and use magnets to keep in place cheap and easy

Colorfulsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a 220 and we cut plexi to fit In between overflow an corner of tank drill where the pump is placed for cord install 6 magnets water proof or plastic coated of coarse and install tank must be empty of coarse but it's a lot cheaper and easier that running all vortech

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that we have DC pumps and manifolds it begs the question, do we really need powerheads anymore? There was a time when people got creative with their returns (especially when the spray bars got popular).

Half you guys are PVC experts and the other half of you bind acrylic like you're making a bowl of cheerios. Has anyone done something spectacular that removes the need for powerheads? Particularly, for drop-off tanks I'm SUPER interested in something unbelievably cool. :-D

Better yet, what about a closed system that just runs to and from a refugium?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate wires, pumps, anything that takes away from the natural look. drives me insane seeing a beautiful coralled aquascape with powerheads interrupting the view.
I've made my aquascape to hide my pumps, return and overflow. pvc skeleton and Habitat Black (Reynolds Advanced Materials).
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my upgrade I am running the 2 waves on the rear but close to the sides of the center overflow - plus using black vinyl for the back so they should blend in. Running 2 MP60qd on the sides. If I had a clear back like yours they would drive me crazy also.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back