Hige phosphate and np bacto balance

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.80 Can np bacto balance help with such high levels of phosphate or is there no point in adding??

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.80 Can np bacto balance help with such high levels of phosphate or is there no point in adding??
A high PO4 concentration is typically removed with GFO or lanthanum chloride. All other methodologies are meant to adjust lower levels of PO4.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high PO4 concentration is typically removed with GFO or lanthanum chloride. All other methodologies are meant to adjust lower levels of PO4.
lanthanum chloride its carbon dosing?, if so, np bacto balance isnt carbon dosing?, if not what is lanthanum chloride,,?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lanthanum chloride its carbon dosing?, if so, np bacto balance isnt carbon dosing?, if not what is lanthanum chloride,,?
Lanthanum chloride is a chemical that is a popular in this hobby to precipitate phosphate which then needs to be filtered off.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I never used the stuff. Another post asking this question would get you an answer.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing does little to phosphate, its a nitrate management tool.

GFO that number down, but never zero.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised it isn't noted here but before you turn to the use of Lanthanum chloride please read up on it and understand how it is used in home aquaria. Not only does it lower phosphate fast there are side effects you need to be aware of and prepare fore.

You do not just dump it in and it magically works.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised it isn't noted here but before you turn to the use of Lanthanum chloride please read up on it and understand how it is used in home aquaria. Not only does it lower phosphate fast there are side effects you need to be aware of and prepare fore.

You do not just dump it in and it magically works.
Where can i read about it? Is np bacto balance is carbon dosing? What the different elimi np and nopox and phosphate rx?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can i read about it? Is np bacto balance is carbon dosing? What the different elimi np and nopox and phosphate rx?

You can do a search here on Lanthanum Chloride and get many hits. Or use another search engine of choice.

Also the video linked above talks about Tropic Marin products and when to use them. Balance, as the name implies, is for use after your numbers are where you want them. Elimi NP is to lower phosphates and it is NOT Lanthanum Chloride based. I personally believe it is safer to use but again one needs to understand the problem and what the goal is to pick the right one.

You have a phosphate reading of .80. Great.
  • Size of display
  • How does your display look
  • Photos
  • New display
  • How old is the display
  • Any algae issues
  • How many corals
  • How many fish
Lanthanum based products work but you need to be aware of the risks and know how to mitigate them.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a search here on Lanthanum Chloride and get many hits. Or use another search engine of choice.

Also the video linked above talks about Tropic Marin products and when to use them. Balance, as the name implies, is for use after your numbers are where you want them. Elimi NP is to lower phosphates and it is NOT Lanthanum Chloride based. I personally believe it is safer to use but again one needs to understand the problem and what the goal is to pick the right one.

You have a phosphate reading of .80. Great.
  • Size of display
  • How does your display look
  • Photos
  • New display
  • How old is the display
  • Any algae issues
  • How many corals
  • How many fish
Lanthanum based products work but you need to be aware of the risks and know how to mitigate them.
Ok 24x24x24 display
20x20x20 sump
Is 3 to 4 years old
5 fish clown,warasse,2 tangs,copperband buterfly
I recently add copperband and i fed a lot till know so its not a suprise to me...
The copperband is ok , i mean he eat frozen food like pig
I have dino ob my sand
And bubble algea in my overflow... photos or video i add later...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t dose lanthanum chloride unless you absolutely know what you’re doing. Using lanthanum incorrectly can kill your fish.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of it. I'd only use it as a last resort as it just seems way too understood on how in interacts with the chemistry of living things in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back