High Alk dosing kalk help!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 112g mixed reef (softies, lps, and just a few sps for now) and I'm having trouble with high Alk. I use kalkwasser in my ato (1 teaspoon per gallon) and have steady Cal at 450-460ppm and steady Alk at 12-12.5 dkh which is higher then I want. My mag test is expired (which one do you recommend I buy?). Why is my Alk always so high? I know the obvious answer is ditch the kalk and start dosing but I know others seem to get Alk between 8 and 9 using kalk so I'm not sure why my tank is different??? Any ideas guys?

OH, and I normally use livaquaria salt mix but my most recent water change was with reef crystals.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 8+ years old. Alk and Cal tested with Hanna checkers

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO HELlo Hello hello (echo)

Last bump

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk is the Reef Crystals mixing to? It could be that it is the cause of your alk levels and not the kalk.

Assuming that the RC isn't the cause, dose less kalk through the ATO. Start by letting the alk drop by not using any kalk in the ATO and testing the alk daily until you get it where you want it. Once it's there, start using kalk again but just use less of it. Yes, the calcium will drop a bit during this process, but probably not all that much. Alk will drop much faster than Ca.

If the ca ends up too low for your liking, then use the Ca portion of a 2-part to raise it to where you want it.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ryben, that's a great idea. I did refill my ato this morning with 4 scoops of kalk instead of my usual 5 but I will stop using it until Alk is where I want it and then adjust Cal accordingly. I don't think the salt is the issue since I had the same problem using livaquaria brand (unless both have sky high Alk).

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ryben, that's a great idea. I did refill my ato this morning with 4 scoops of kalk instead of my usual 5 but I will stop using it until Alk is where I want it and then adjust Cal accordingly. I don't think the salt is the issue since I had the same problem using livaquaria brand (unless both have sky high Alk).

Have you tested your mixed SW to see what the alk is?

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off.. let your tank alk drop before resuming your kalkwasser dosing until you want it where you want it.. essentially your when it’s your target range your just dosing it as a maintenance dose to keep it rock steady. Also if your make up water is higher alk use and air stone and mix for 3-7 days beforehand to drop alk.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested my saltwater mix but I know reef crystals has really high Alk. The thing is I don't think I do enough water changes for the salt mix to be keeping the Alk so high. Regardless I'll be switching to a lower Alk salt for my next batch. Anyways, I appreciate your input guys. I'll take the kalk offline for a bit and let the Alk drop while dosing Cal. I still just don't get why others get stable #s from dosing kalk and I dont

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t even dose calcium. Sit back.. relax concentrate on other areas of your reef now you have time to chill ...

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk is the Reef Crystals mixing to? It could be that it is the cause of your alk levels and not the kalk.

Assuming that the RC isn't the cause, dose less kalk through the ATO. Start by letting the alk drop by not using any kalk in the ATO and testing the alk daily until you get it where you want it. Once it's there, start using kalk again but just use less of it. Yes, the calcium will drop a bit during this process, but probably not all that much. Alk will drop much faster than Ca.

If the ca ends up too low for your liking, then use the Ca portion of a 2-part to raise it to where you want it.
This♤. Buy a cheap digital scale and start measuring your portions and adjust.
You will likely have to adjust for seasonal changes anyway so the scale just takes the guess work out.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk will make your alk and calcium stay even, the only way to drop alk and not calcium is through 2 part. I currently dose kalk through my ATO as water evaporates throughout the day and its pretty stable. Stop kalk and let it drop slowly.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back