High alk

  • Thread starter Thread starter kharn101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kharn101

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
912
Reaction score
119
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,
My alk is normally at 8.6-8.8. I had a dosing error and my alk is now at 11.8. Do I do a water change or let it naturally fall. I don’t want any coral to bleach. My instinct is to let it fall naturally then do a water change once it is down to 8.6. Any thoughts or advise?
 
Hello all,
My alk is normally at 8.6-8.8. I had a dosing error and my alk is now at 11.8. Do I do a water change or let it naturally fall. I don’t want any coral to bleach. My instinct is to let it fall naturally then do a water change once it is down to 8.6. Any thoughts or advise?
Acros do not Bleach from alk issues, they RTN/STN. They bleach from too much light especially quickly. You should let it fall naturally then continue your regular dosing. I’d hold off on the water change until your back on regular dosing for a
Week.
 
We talking about acropora or montipora? Bid difference in terms of sensitivity.

If your alk falls quickly then just let it fall on it's own. dKH is not *that* big a deal unless your tank is used to 7.0 and ULN.

If you're paranoid.....and that's perfectly acceptable state to be in with SPS, muriatic acid can be safely used to drop alk. Done this many times myself after dosing pump errors and it's discussed occasionally in the chemistry forum here. Doesn't take much. Half teaspoons at a time for anything over 50gal.
 
Sorry, this is for Acropora dominated tank. I believe i could do the same with a water change.
It's a 90 gallon tank
 
I’d be cautious of any rapid change.
I’d let her drop on her own.
Shouldnt take more than a week in an Acro tank.
 
I’d be cautious of any rapid change.
I’d let her drop on her own.
Shouldnt take more than a week in an Acro tank.
Definitely let it drop on its own
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new