High alkalinity

Wingsofbahamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm relatively new to reefing. My tank 10 gallon waterbox, no skimmer and is about 4 months old. Everything was find and dandy until 3 weeks ago my Duncan coral closed up. I gave it a week and nothing.

Took a water sample to my lfs and my alkalinity was 13.2 and nitrates were 2. I only tested for these as I looked up that could be my Duncan issue. Now 1 month prior I did a test on everything and it was all spot on so I'm pretty bummed out as this is my first real problem. I do a 25% water change every week as that was what I was advised to do.

So my lfs said the tank is too clean, and feed it more to get the nitrates up and should help the alk. They said don't do a water change yet.

Next week I test again. My alk was 12.8 and nitrate 1. Didn't really get anywhere. So I guess I'm still under feeding? Started feeding twice a day. I only have two clowns, some inverts and 5 corals. Added some reef roids every now and again. The bottom of my tank is looking pretty dirty now that my inverts can't keep up and I'm having to clean the glass every other day or so.

I'm going to check the water again tomorrow but my Duncan is looking awful. The color in the stem is gone and it's starting to tuck in tighter now. My other coral seem fine. I also have a lot of bubbles on the top of my tank which I think is protein and due to not changing water for a while? A switched out my filter sock to help.

Can anyone please give this newb some advice on how to fix this? I really appreciate. Sorry for any grammar or spelling. I'm on mobile. Thanks.

20200727_153607.jpg

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using seachem acid buffer in my top off. Watch the ph, run an airstone in your top off to raise ph. Follow the label for dosing.... Slow adjustments are best.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the OP isnt dosing alk buffer then the source of the high alk is the salt mix.

Even Reef Crystal's will mix that high depending on batch.

Assuming the OP isnt dosing then I would do a water change with instant ocean. Never seen that stuff mix higher than 9-10 dKH.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding kalk or more buffer will make the problem worse. A tank that small with just LPS can be maintained just fine with water changes.

OP
OP
Wingsofbahamut

Wingsofbahamut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the OP isnt dosing alk buffer then the source of the high alk is the salt mix.

Even Reef Crystal's will mix that high depending on batch.

Assuming the OP isnt dosing then I would do a water change with instant ocean. Never seen that stuff mix higher than 9-10 dKH.
I get my saltwater from my lfs mixed already. I get AccuraSea from them. The day I did my last water change when I picked the water up they had just made a fresh batch. So maybe a bad batch and nothing I did wrong essentially?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back