High Ammonia level after 10% water change

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys!!! I’m new here so take it easy on me

I’m 1 week into my cycle using 2 clownfish and a bottle of Dr Tim’s One & Only.

After testing once a day for the past week I’ve seen a large spike in ammonia (1.2) which has held strong for the past 4 days. I was advised by my local aquatics store to do a 10% water change which I’ve done, I retested after a couple of hours and the ammonia levels are still at 1.2.

The fish seem fine, darting around the tank and eating great. I’ve reduced there meals to one medium feed per day as was feeding twice a day.

Should I do another larger water change or wait for the drop in ammonia?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After testing once a day for the past week I’ve seen a large spike in ammonia (1.2) which has held strong for the past 4 days. I was advised by my local aquatics store to do a 10% water change which I’ve done, I retested after a couple of hours and the ammonia levels are still at 1.2.

The fish seem fine, darting around the tank and eating great. I’ve reduced there meals to one medium feed per day as was feeding twice a day.

a 10% change will unlikely move it enough for your test kit to even notice it. Tim's takes almost two weeks to complete a cycle in my experience. You should see it move down towards the end of the second week. If you want to impact the ammonia levels do a 50% change and retest.

Upvote 0

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stores are still pushing the ole fish cycle? 50% water change and retest. Extra air (air stones are fine) to ensure fish done suffocate. Ammonia levels should be fine in a few days and nitrites are non toxic.
Welcome to r2r!

Edit: I would discontinue feeding for 24-36 hours and let the bacteria do its thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 10% change will unlikely move it enough for your test kit to even notice it. Tim's takes almost two weeks to complete a cycle in my experience. You should see it move down towards the end of the second week. If you want to impact the ammonia levels do a 50% change and retest.
Thank you for the super fast response to my post! That’s music to my ears that the cycle is just taking longer than I’ve previously been told and expected.

Will the fish still be protected by Dr Tim’s or should I do a 50% water change to be safe?

I’ll of course continue to test every day for an additional week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stores are still pushing the ole fish cycle? 50% water change and retest. Extra air (air stones are fine) to ensure fish done suffocate. Ammonia levels should be fine in a few days and nitrites are non toxic.
Welcome to r2r!

Edit: I would discontinue feeding for 24-36 hours and let the bacteria do its thing.
Definitely taking you advice and discontinue for 24-36 hours.

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to r2r!

d&d nerd GIF

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the super fast response to my post! That’s music to my ears that the cycle is just taking longer than I’ve previously been told and expected.

Will the fish still be protected by Dr Tim’s or should I do a 50% water change to be safe?

I’ll of course continue to test every day for an additional week.
tim's function isn't to protect anything directly. It's simply bacteria that will seed your media and surfaces that will process that ammonia to less harmful nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia is quite toxic to fish and will burn their gills so I highly recommend a 50% change to bring those levels down. Your LFS wasn't doing you any favors with the advice they gave you. Unless interdicted/stalled by mistakes such as you made (it's ok we all learn) it's really hard to mess up a cycle as it will just take care of itself in a couple weeks. In the future consider a fishless cycle where you don't add them until afterwards. Too late now I understand but water changes can help you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baigent87

Baigent87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tim's function isn't to protect anything directly. It's simply bacteria that will seed your media and surfaces that will process that ammonia to less harmful nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia is quite toxic to fish and will burn their gills so I highly recommend a 50% change to bring those levels down. Your LFS wasn't doing you any favors with the advice they gave you. Unless interdicted/stalled by mistakes such as you made (it's ok we all learn) it's really hard to mess up a cycle as it will just take care of itself in a couple weeks. In the future consider a fishless cycle where you don't add them until afterwards. Too late now I understand but water changes can help you.
Looking back I wish I’d done a fishless cycle and feel guilty for taking the first piece of advice I received from my LFS. As you say what’s done is done and my main priority is to protect the clowns and just let the cycle take its course. I’ll do a 50% water change first thing tomorrow and report back to the group.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R!!!

I would do a 25 percent water change minimum and monitor.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back