High cal low alk.

Nesto928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers! Hoping you guys can help me out. Just tested my tank this morning and my calcium is kinda high 460 and alk is low 7.5 but ph is 8.0. Phos were 0.10... Its 40 breeder with a 25g sump.
Any solutions??? I have added quite a few sps frags to my tank lately idk if tht matters..

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so bad, do you dose?
If so just ajust slowy to the level you want to keep.
What kind of salt are you using? In such a small reef if the salt is not precisely on the level you want a simple water change could explain this.
Next water change test your mix before adding to your tank.

OP
OP
Nesto928

Nesto928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals. And my salt is at 1.025 usually i what i keep it at. Just did a t water change 3 days. Only acro power. 5ml every other day at night

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is at a much lower concentration in the water than calcium and it's numbers will drop more quickly than calcium as well. I only dose alk b/c when I started adding SPS corals which use a ton of the stuff to make its hard structure I had a similar issue as yours. You may just need to start dosing, sometimes water changes aren't enough to keep it up. I only dose 1/week halfway between water changes and keep mine relatively stable with a small system (16 biocube). If you haven't watch this video on the subject from BRS, helped clear things up for me! https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-29-calcium-alkalinity-science-behind-a-healthy-reef/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bring Kalk up slowly otherwise im ok with those numbers (similar to mine). Also try checking again Mid-day as the numbers are lowest in the morning for some reason

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back