High calcium and struggling/closed goniopora

annaaaa_095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am Anna, I am Swiss saltwater enthusiast.

After years of freshwater, I started a small reef tank in September 2022. My tank is appoximatly 120 litres (so 32 gallons), I currently have soft and started LPS few months ago.

My two candy canes and plerogyra diabolotus are doing well. My goniopora is struggling because my hermit crab contiously attacked it. I also recently discovered that my calcium is skyrocketing:

Water parametres:

Density: 1.025
KH: 7
NO2: 0.3
NO3: 15
PO4: 0
Calcium: 650
Magnesium: 1'250

My LFS told me to not dose anymore alkalinity (because each time the calcium went up) and told me to slowly raise the Magnesium to 1'400 by adding 1ml each day. I change weekly 1kg of zeolite and every 4 weeks carbon and AL99 from Triton.

They also told me to not do waterchanges and to dip the goniopora in water from the tank and betadine when I see it losing tissue.

Any tips on how to lower calcium and save my goniopora are very appreciated.

Thank you in advance and happy reefing :)

Anna

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

performing a water change where the new water has less CA will help lower it in your tank. not sure why they told you not to do a WC. perhaps not to shock the goni any further. is your PO4 is undetectable, or just low (example 0.03)? 0 po4 could be a reason why it is upset/not doing good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

annaaaa_095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

performing a water change where the new water has less CA will help lower it in your tank. not sure why they told you not to do a WC. perhaps not to shock the goni any further. is your PO4 is undetectable, or just low (example 0.03)? 0 po4 could be a reason why it is upset/not doing good.
Hi from Switzerland!

My PO4 is exactly 0 and the test is brand new.

I rescued my current tank from someone who needed to get rid of it, so the tank partially matured with livestock in it and at the beginning I had lots of issues with PO4. In fact I used to dose 120 gr/weekly of AL99 from Triton, when it started to lower my LFS told me to just use dose 50 gr and when PO4 started to rise to change it.
Do you suggest to stop dosing it? I think it's been 8 months with 0 PO4 (I change the AL99 monthly).

Upvote 0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your using individual elements for each part you can treat each separately

Your alkalinity is on the borderline of being to low, so I would initially try and get that up to 8-8.5 and then you have some wiggle room

Same with magnesium get it up as again it’s borderline to low. 1350-1400 or thereabouts is fine

As for the calcium, you can either just let it drop back naturally with uptake, or if you have few corals, do a few water changes, but I wouldn’t worry to much to be honest

If the goni is being attacked by crabs that’s probably the cause, but they can be very fussy depending on water flow, lights etc.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you need to get your phosphate up in the.05-.1 range. Water changes will decrease your calcium. O have no experience with gonies but I have read many threads where very experienced reefers struggle keeping them. Oh, welcome, glad you are here!

Upvote 0

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230604_203550.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

annaaaa_095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your using individual elements for each part you can treat each separately

Your alkalinity is on the borderline of being to low, so I would initially try and get that up to 8-8.5 and then you have some wiggle room

Same with magnesium get it up as again it’s borderline to low. 1350-1400 or thereabouts is fine

As for the calcium, you can either just let it drop back naturally with uptake, or if you have few corals, do a few water changes, but I wouldn’t worry to much to be honest

If the goni is being attacked by crabs that’s probably the cause, but they can be very fussy depending on water flow, lights etc.
Hi Shaun,

thank you for the help!

The goni was doing beautifully for like 4.5 months, even my LFS told me that it seemed like I found a very good spot. I think the main "culpabe" was the hermit crab, he was becoming too big so I gave him to a friend with a larger tank, I am guessing the high calcium isn't helping the coral to extend

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

annaaaa_095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you need to get your phosphate up in the.05-.1 range. Water changes will decrease your calcium. O have no experience with gonies but I have read many threads where very experienced reefers struggle keeping them. Oh, welcome, glad you are her
Hi,

thank you, yesterday I took out the PO4 remover so hopefully that will help the goni to recover

Upvote 0

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, calcium waaay high. Mag needs upping. I’ve found you can be pretty generous with mag increases. I dose 2 capfuls of ESV mag 4-5 times at least a week. My Gonis and other lps love having it at the 1500 or so that I run. I also feed the tank pretty heavy with frozen food daily so the nutrient levels stay higher which Gonis and other lps like. And…
IMG_0804.jpeg

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back