High-Density BioDiversity Tank on the Second Floor

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/14/2023

This will be a fun project as there are quite a few variables that we are working with in building this tank. There is no room for error, as I live on the second floor of an older apartment with neighbors living underneath. Because of this, I hired a structural engineer to give me an estimate on how big of a tank I can get before the structural integrity of the flooring starts to be compromised. To handle a 50G display tank with a 15G sump, I will be getting a platform built to level and distribute the weight across a wider surface area.

In the past, I've had 3 freshwater tanks and 1 20G reef tank. This will be the first tank that I will have a sump and I will be trying to configure the filtration in both the sump and HOB equipment to be able to handle as many different types of creatures as possible, with fish, corals, invertebrates, sponges and beneficial "pests" (think bristleworms, copepods, snails, etc).

I have ordered the following:
Currently planning out the following:
  • Platform construction
  • Lights
  • Protein skimmer (or refugium...seems like I can only have 1 or the other)
  • Algae scrubber (or some method of cultivating copepods in my sump)
  • Auto-top off reservoir
  • Filter socks
  • Bio filtration
Very open to feedback and sump planning. I will look to update this thread each time I get a new idea, upgrade or make progress.

Edits to equipment (subject to change):

image_67203329.JPG

image_50400513.JPG

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas and have fun with the new system!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
12/14/2023

This will be a fun project as there are quite a few variables that we are working with in building this tank. There is no room for error, as I live on the second floor of an older apartment with neighbors living underneath. Because of this, I hired a structural engineer to give me an estimate on how big of a tank I can get before the structural integrity of the flooring starts to be compromised. To handle a 50G display tank with a 15G sump, I will be getting a platform built to level and distribute the weight across a wider surface area.

In the past, I've had 3 freshwater tanks and 1 20G reef tank. This will be the first tank that I will have a sump and I will be trying to configure the filtration in both the sump and HOB equipment to be able to handle as many different types of creatures as possible, with fish, corals, invertebrates, sponges and beneficial "pests" (think bristleworms, copepods, snails, etc).

I have ordered the following:
Currently planning out the following:
  • Platform construction
  • Lights
  • Protein skimmer (or refugium...seems like I can only have 1 or the other)
  • Algae scrubber (or some method of cultivating copepods in my sump)
  • Auto-top off reservoir
  • Filter socks
  • Bio filtration
Very open to feedback and sump planning. I will look to update this thread each time I get a new idea, upgrade or make progress.

image_67203329.JPG

image_50400513.JPG
They make both HOB skimmers and refugiums, so that is always an option. Also, you might check out @IOAOI for their skimmer. It's basically a HOB for the sump!

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make both HOB skimmers and refugiums, so that is always an option. Also, you might check out @IOAOI for their skimmer. It's basically a HOB for the sump!

I've absolutely thought about prioritizing the in-sump refugium to grow chaeto and cultivate copepods and using a HOB skimmer behind the tank. If that small space can't fit it, I can just hang it off to the side. I would place the bio-blocks in the refugium.

image_67234049.JPG

There also appears to be a small section behind the baffle of the middle chamber in the Nuvo RFS22 sump with a hole that flows into the return chamber. I'm considering running a multipurpose reactor to run activated carbon and GFO continuously here.

IMG_0812.jpg

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/20/2023

Starting to plan out equipment. I currently have the following equipment planned for the new tank:
There will likely be changes as I continue planning so I will edit the first post as I finalize my gear-stack.

I'm realizing that there will likely be a lot of gear that will need to be plugged in. I may need to figure out if my outlet pulls enough power for all the gear. I will talk to an electrician to see if I should get a new dedicated 20amp outlet designated for all my equipment.

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with tank! What are you thinking for livestock?
Haha, I'm missing one of the most important aspects of the tank here. Since I'll be looking to fill it with as many different types of corals, macro algae, inverts, fish, sponges, etc, I'm still thinking through it. So far, I know I definitely want:
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Mandarin
  • Jawfish
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • sexy shrimp
  • anemone shrimp
  • emeral crab
  • Possum Wrasse
Once I have the list a bit more finalized, I'll be sure to update the first post!

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/28/2023

Had to consult with an electrician about the new tanks power usage, turns out this tank will likely put me over the edge if the wife suddenly uses a space heater, or if I turn on the air conditioner since they're all on the same circuit. Unfortunately, a dedicated 20amp outlet would be expensive to install and also look quite ugly as the wire would run through my hallway.

I ultimately decided to install a a GFCI outlet for this new tank and also added another outlet that will pull power from the kitchen if my wife decides to use the space heater or if we use the vacuum cleaner, etc.

For more tank-related news, currently still trying to decide for lighting...it's Radion XR30 G6 Pro LED Light Fixture versus Hydra 64HD LED. Big PLUS for Hydra64 LED is the lower power consumption since I am limited by power.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going through the same issue at my house right now. For some reason, most of my downstairs is on a single 20 amp circuit - including the microwave. I have to turn off my lights when we use the microwave.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have space. I'm thinking (but it's going to be expensive) I'm going to run a 30 amp for the camper and a 20 amp for the microwave along the outside of the house and have a dedicated outlet for both.

I have vaulted ceilings and it's an outside wall so it's really my best (and maybe only) option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back