High End BioCube Reef Tank Build.

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every one loves to see a DIY tank build so here is my plan..........

Being locked up at home has got a lot of stuff done at home. Now I decided to start up the old BioCube once again. It is just sitting in the basement collecting dust so I have decided to turn it into a separate system to store some of my higher end corals. I am thinking of two Mocha Storm Clownfish and a 3 small yellow tangs will be the only fish in the tank. Maybe a Maxima Clam. I would start the tank with some live rock, but not live sand. Thinking of using the Carib Sea Aragonite formula and going to try the Tropic Marin pro reef salt. Going to light it all with one Kessil 360WE. I want to run a sump and not too keen on the add on overflows. I will need to build a new stand to match the furniture in the den where it is going so I will have more space to to build a bigger sump than what is out there. My only fear is drilling this tank for the durso style overflow and the return line. I plan on using my old current usa pump as the return. I want to avoid using a wave maker in the tank......so I plan on drilling the plastic divider in the back of the tank and adding two 1/2" bulkheads and plumbing in the locklines for the returns and dividing each so I have a total of 4 returns. I think the bigger pump will create enough movement with 4 returns. I ordered the glass drill bit and going to give that a try soon. I started the new stand design and made it out of 3/4" plywood that has 13plys. This stuff is so strong that no corner braces will be needed for the small tank. Keeping the same style as the original stand but just making it wider so I can fit a bigger sump in the bottom.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.08 PM.png

I want this to match the stand I made for my 250 display tank so I had some 2" cherry left over from that project. Glued up the pieces and cut the top to match the curve on the tank.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.10.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.10.21 AM.png

Going to do some more assembly today to try to finish up the cabinet so I can spray it next week. After all this work and if the drilling of the tank goes bad, my back up plan would be to cut the rounded portions of the top and bottom of the stand off to make it square. Then I will need to just make a custom sized acrylic tank to fit the top. Hoping I dont need to go that route but we shall see.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every one loves to see a DIY tank build so here is my plan..........

Being locked up at home has got a lot of stuff done at home. Now I decided to start up the old BioCube once again. It is just sitting in the basement collecting dust so I have decided to turn it into a separate system to store some of my higher end corals. I am thinking of two Mocha Storm Clownfish and a 3 small yellow tangs will be the only fish in the tank. Maybe a Maxima Clam. I would start the tank with some live rock, but not live sand. Thinking of using the Carib Sea Aragonite formula and going to try the Tropic Marin pro reef salt. Going to light it all with one Kessil 360WE. I want to run a sump and not too keen on the add on overflows. I will need to build a new stand to match the furniture in the den where it is going so I will have more space to to build a bigger sump than what is out there. My only fear is drilling this tank for the durso style overflow and the return line. I plan on using my old current usa pump as the return. I want to avoid using a wave maker in the tank......so I plan on drilling the plastic divider in the back of the tank and adding two 1/2" bulkheads and plumbing in the locklines for the returns and dividing each so I have a total of 4 returns. I think the bigger pump will create enough movement with 4 returns. I ordered the glass drill bit and going to give that a try soon. I started the new stand design and made it out of 3/4" plywood that has 13plys. This stuff is so strong that no corner braces will be needed for the small tank. Keeping the same style as the original stand but just making it wider so I can fit a bigger sump in the bottom.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.08 PM.png

I want this to match the stand I made for my 250 display tank so I had some 2" cherry left over from that project. Glued up the pieces and cut the top to match the curve on the tank.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.10.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.10.21 AM.png

Going to do some more assembly today to try to finish up the cabinet so I can spray it next week. After all this work and if the drilling of the tank goes bad, my back up plan would be to cut the rounded portions of the top and bottom of the stand off to make it square. Then I will need to just make a custom sized acrylic tank to fit the top. Hoping I dont need to go that route but we shall see.
As long as you go slow with the drill and keep it cool you should have no issues. That stand looks a little tight for a sump...

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that you’ll want some room around the sump to prevent water splashing from getting on the cabinet. water splashing on the side of the sump where you can’t clean it up is a pain.
I thought of taking the back out. That may just happen.
The sump will be 14 wide by 19" deep. Not sure of the height yet, but I got to get it to fit in here...
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.29 PM.png

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the mock up of the sump. Turned out pretty good, however I do need to make some adjustments. The return pump chamber needs to be bigger. Lots of pics to look at. I tend to do that as a record keeping method and I can access pics from other computers if needed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.16.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.18.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.18.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.18.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.18.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.18.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.30 PM.png

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, looking good! I appreciate your attention to detail! What kind of finish are you applying to the stand?

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH its tight, but I need the room. Everything will be plumbed with unions so when needed I will be able to remove the sump to clean. Sounds like a pain but thats what I need to do. There will be a top on the sump with lids on every chamber. Even going to do a split lid to go around the skimmer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back