High nitrate and phosphate levels… should I be worried?

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

my tank is about 4 months old now, 120 gallon/550 litre with a refugium, currently have about 6 fish in there, a handful of LPS coral, clean up crew etc. feeding twice a day.

My levels all seem to be spot on apart from my nitrates which are 41 and my phosphates are 0.27, I know this is a little on the high side and I’ve been dosing nopox algae management to keep it down but it doesn’t really seem to be working that much.

Everyone and Everything is healthy or at least looks it, should I be worried and if so what are the best ways of keeping the levels down as a whole? I do a 20% water change every couple weeks normally, I did a 50% just over a week ago.

Any advice welcomed

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

my tank is about 4 months old now, 120 gallon/550 litre with a refugium, currently have about 6 fish in there, a handful of LPS coral, clean up crew etc. feeding twice a day.

My levels all seem to be spot on apart from my nitrates which are 41 and my phosphates are 0.27, I know this is a little on the high side and I’ve been dosing nopox algae management to keep it down but it doesn’t really seem to be working that much.

Everyone and Everything is healthy or at least looks it, should I be worried and if so what are the best ways of keeping the levels down as a whole? I do a 20% water change every couple weeks normally, I did a 50% just over a week ago.

Any advice welcomed
What was the nitrate level just before adding fish, etc.? Wondering where you started at.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4 months I would look for a method that doesn't require dosing. I'm not a fan of dosing to reduce nutrients in a new tank. I actually try not to dose to reduce in an established tank too but will as a last resort. Chaeto, water changes, feed less are a few methods.
Personally if everything is doing well I would maybe tighten up on water changes and keep an eye on things. Many people run succesful tanks with higher nutrients. My oldest tank looks it's best when nitrates are 15-20 and phosphates 0.2ish

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4 months I would look for a method that doesn't require dosing. I'm not a fan of dosing to reduce nutrients in a new tank. I actually try not to dose to reduce in an established tank too but will as a last resort. Chaeto, water changes, feed less are a few methods.
Personally if everything is doing well I would maybe tighten up on water changes and keep an eye on things. Many people run succesful tanks with higher nutrients. My oldest tank looks it's best when nitrates are 15-20 and phosphates 0.2ish
I second this.

OP
OP
A

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2-3 times daily. I have to change my filter sock every 3 days or the N & P rise. How often are you changing your sock?
I don’t have a sock, I have a filter media tray, then refugium, then a further section with ceramic balls and my protein skimmer, I change the filter media once every week or so.

OP
OP
A

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, so do you think these nitrate and phosphate levels are necessarily a problem if everyone is happy?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, so do you think these nitrate and phosphate levels are necessarily a problem if everyone is happy?
Yes... they will go up if you dont have something consuming or removing it from the water. Id focus on finding natural ways to reduce them and dose more if you need.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chummingham's Reef runs a very similar N/P levels, and he grows a lot of really nice corals.

But in your case with a young tank, I'd probably take action. If it were me, I'd lower those levels down through either more frequent water changes, feed less, swap out filter pads more often, throwing a skimmer on, if you haven't done so already, or a combination of those things.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say they are a problem but I would work on reducing them and not let them continue to rise. I've only been doing this for 8 years and consider myself a newb but I would do daily water changes on a 4 month old tank before I dosed chemicals to reduce but that's just how I like to reef. There is no right or wrong as long as you get the desired results.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I do a 20% water change every couple weeks normally, I did a 50% just over a week ago."

IMO, consistent versus large wc is better. I have a 120 also. I do 10% every saturday....

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Any advice welcomed
Everyone and everything looks happy --> SLOWLY lower your nitrate and phosphates then. Why mess with things if its going great?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say they are a problem but I would work on reducing them and not let them continue to rise. I've only been doing this for 8 years and consider myself a newb but I would do daily water changes on a 4 month old tank before I dosed chemicals to reduce but that's just how I like to reef. There is no right or wrong as long as you get the desired results.
Doing daily water changes is rather a shame for your wallet. You can also buy bacteria which eat nitrate/phosphates. It also benefits the eco system, rather then using chemicals.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing daily water changes is rather a shame for your wallet. You can also buy bacteria which eat nitrate/phosphates. It also benefits the eco system, rather then using chemicals.
I'm shammed. ;) I do small daily water changes vs larger changes as it keeps things more stable IMO. Like I said there are many methods and the end result is all that matters

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize, Nopox which is just a carbon source, is feeding bacteria that reduce nitrates and phosphates? You then skim out or your corals feed on these bacteria. Carbon dosing is a Natural way to lower nitrates and phosphates(nitrates more then phosphates).

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize, Nopox which is just a carbon source, is feeding bacteria that reduce nitrates and phosphates? You then skim out or your corals feed on these bacteria. Carbon dosing is a Natural way to lower nitrates and phosphates(nitrates more then phosphates).
Thank you for stating this.
My lesson of the day. I figured Nopox was just some more majic in a bottle.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back