High nitrate

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsilva5228
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dsilva5228

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
queens
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m thinking of removing my sand bed because of high nitrate I do have a 120 display and with sun it’s a total of 150 water volume and can’t seem to get it down I tried everything I even have a refugeum and phosphate are are 0.001 I really don’t understand I did plenty of water changes changed out all dilation on my rodi would you think this will help I’m also running a bio pellet reactor also Cheto stop growing even before I put on the bio pellet

IMG_1665.jpeg IMG_1666.jpeg IMG_1651.jpeg IMG_1667.jpeg IMG_1674.jpeg
 
What are your nitrates? Also, have you tried running carbon in your tank?
 
Cheato might be iron limited if it stopped growing.

What are your nitrates? I don't think removing the sand is going to make much of a difference.
 
What is your nitrate level? Personally I wouldn't worry that much about nitrates. I have had my tank running in the hundreds at some points with no material issues. I certainly wouldn't remove the sand bed just because of it looking for a quick solution. Bio pellets take a while to work, how long have you been running them?
 
Post last cycle dosed carbon to lower nitrates but wasn't until I dosed phosphates that I was able to bottom my nitrates out and avoid a WC. All life needs phosphates including the bacteria and plants needed to reduce nitrates. Nature is about balance.
 
Agree with GARRIGA, get the po4 up. I'd aim for .05-.10. It may take some time as the po4 will bind with the rock and sand before it will balance out. Dose a normal amount and test 24hr later, if it did not do much double the dose and test again.
 
Post last cycle dosed carbon to lower nitrates but wasn't until I dosed phosphates that I was able to bottom my nitrates out and avoid a WC. All life needs phosphates including the bacteria and plants needed to reduce nitrates. Nature is about balance.
Good catch, I read .1 and ignored all the zeros. LOL
 
Have you considered carbon dosing? WCs will need to LARGE to reduce NO3 that are very high. Smaller WCs will just maintain your NO3 levels.
 
Is 60 nitrates high? The frogspawn seems to be withering away, but the fish and other coral are looking good! I’ve been over feeding .. roughly 4-5 times a day. Many cubes and 3 or 4 sheets or Nori a day. I have about 5 tangs and twenty other smaller fish. Currently I’m doing a 15% water change a week and dosing NO3PO4X daily by Red Sea.
 
Is 60 nitrates high? The frogspawn seems to be withering away, but the fish and other coral are looking good! I’ve been over feeding .. roughly 4-5 times a day. Many cubes and 3 or 4 sheets or Nori a day. I have about 5 tangs and twenty other smaller fish. Currently I’m doing a 15% water change a week and dosing NO3PO4X daily by Red Sea.
Sorta high, yes.
You need some more po4 for that nopox to work also.
Right now you are po4 limited and I'm guessing you have enough carbon(nopox is carbon). You need all 3 (N, P, C) for the nopox to work.
You can dose a little P and I think it will come down faster.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new