High nitrates and high phosphates

Jhernandez675

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Ive had my first saltwater tank set up for a year. I recently started dosing alk, mag, calcium and have been lowering my nitrate and phosphate levels down to get ready for my first corals. My current dkh is at 12.35, nitrate .26 ppm and phosphate at .30 ppm. I've had a long tentacle anemone in this tank for about two months and it's been thriving. Are these parameters good for corals? Or should I lower them. I wanted to go with Ips such as hammers, candy canes, maybe even torches down the future.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS seem to like "dirtier" tanks and your N & P levels should be fine for them. SPS appreciate cleaner water, and stability is also very important.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s no emergency really, I wouldn’t panic …
I don’t like running my Alk that high but that number isn’t outta the question ….
Personally I’d just do water changes, but other options and opinions are probably equally valid

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the tag. :)

If you want nitrate and phosphate lower, there are many ways to accomplish it:

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t dose unless you need to. Check Alk, Cal. Mag every week keep track of your numbers to see how much your tank used up then dose if need. 12.35 dKh is high. I keep my at 8.6

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients seem fine, alk is a little high, if you’re adding stony corals you’ll need to also check for calcium.

If you’ve got an anemone doing well then it’s a reasonable expectation that Softies and LPS will do well, SPS can be more temperamental but these systems are also extremely complex so you can’t really say the parameters are too high or not for them. There are folks on here who run SPS with similar nutrients as you, and folks who struggle but have much lower nutrients.

Other than that the biggest factor for any of these creatures will be stability. Don’t make any sudden changes.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a candy cane coral would do well in these parameters. I’m just paranoid that they won’t do well
Yes a candy cane will do fine. Corals will adapt to your parameters. Just make sure that it solid and if you do change then change very slowly

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back