High nitrites

Beyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the collective. My nitrites have been high for 2 months now. I have the fluval Evo 13.5 and do weekly water changes of around 50%. My last says that something is dead but the only thing dieing is some LPS coral due to the nitrites. I siphon the sand bed and clean out the mechanical filteraton at every water change . The nitrites go down for a bit then spike back up. I do not overfeeding, I use tongs of a fork to feed myasis shrimp. Any help would be appreciated. I just need pointed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Beyon

Beyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you are still tempted to believe the lfs, in this article I show the measured toxicity off all marine organisms that I could find when I wrote it. 2 ppm is not even close to toxic for the most sensitive tested:

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
I believe I read that article a few months ago I found it very interesting. I was only 4 months in or so at that point, I'm learning about reefing every day, I'm just ultra focused on the LPS corals that I can't keep alive so that's what my nitrite question was all about based on the misleading info I was getting at my lfs

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I haven't dismissed what anyone here has said. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't keep any LPS alive for more than a couple months. I dose every other day coral life a +b. That's what is at the root of all of this
I have a fluval 13.5 as well as the 90 Gal upstairs.

The nano is much trickier to keep, and I only keep softies and LPS in it.

It took around 12 months before the corals really settled in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beyon

Beyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 13.5 as well as the 90 Gal upstairs.

The nano is much trickier to keep, and I only keep softies and LPS in it.

It took around 12 months before the corals really settled in.
My softies thrive in the fluval and so far the only LPS I can get to live is frogspawn and as of today an acon. The rest have not done well. I would have thought after a month they would have made it but nope 6 weeks in they always seem to perish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beyon

Beyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My softies thrive in the fluval and so far the only LPS I can get to live is frogspawn and as of today an acon. The rest have not done well. I would have thought after a month they would have made it but nope 6 weeks in they always seem to perish
I do have a 55 and a 29 I'm getting ready for Reef tanks but I want to be more sure of myself before I tackle 2 more tanks running

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are telling me my nitrites is why my LPS is dying. What do you think could be the problem then ? All my soft corals thrive but I know they aren't as picky to water conditions.

It is easy to tell you what it is not. I could list ten thousand things. Diagnosing what is the problem from a distance is far harder and I certainly do not claim to have every answer.

There’s a fair chance its not any type of inorganic chemical issue, but if it is, an icp test can be a good place to start. Check around for discussions on reliability because not all icp companies give data that I would trust.

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are telling me my nitrites is why my LPS is dying. What do you think could be the problem then ? All my soft corals thrive but I know they aren't as picky to water conditions.
I’d start with salinity and temperature calibration, both of the tank and water change water, especially with large changes, if that’s what your gonna do. I’ve got an ink bird on my 13 gallon with a manual fan for cooling for example. Apologies if I’m repeating something that’s already been said.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back