High No3 Low P04 A little help please

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Due to user error with No3 test ( Using damp powder ) No3 was reading 5 ppm. It was actually 50+
To keep Po4 under control I run Rowaphos in a reactor 0.04ppm (Redsea pro)

Target for P04 has always been 0.04 ppm
Target for N03 was 10ppm

These were manageble targets for me, because of my error N03 is 50+

Tank 1000 ltr, 7mths , mixed softy's, lps, few sps, I've already lost Bird's-nest and plate Monti.

I can only phisical mix 120ltrs water a week, a little over 10%

I called in my lfs for some advice, but they were very busy, I managed to speak to someone, He said If my P04 was a little higher he could help me with? Then he had to go

In preparation for ? I have turned off the reactor to raise P04

Your help would be appreciated on what I do next. Thx for reading

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have any macro algae in your sump? Chaeto is good at reducing/keeping NO3 in check.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to control nutrients. You just have to decide what methods you want to employ.

These have more:

Phosphate In The Reef Aquarium
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/?p=3184

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium - REEFEDITION
Hi Randy, I have read your articles, found them very interesting and educating and also confusing.
I,m almost 8mths into reefing so still a lot to learn, if I understand correctly carbon dosing isn't going to work in my case my phosphate are to low N03 50 - 100ppm and P04 0.04ppm. I've used Redsea and Salifert to confirm my test results.

If I'm correct once my phosphate is depleted the bacteria created by carbon dosing would starve and die ( Redfield ratio )
Which leads me to think I need to raise P04, so my question is what would be the safest way to raise P04 ?

At the moment I'm doing 2, 15% water changes week, turned off my phos reactor. Not seeing much improvement in N03 Levels

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally just had this scenario, except my po4 is around .03-.04ppm and my nitrates were well above 100. ICP test reported 500ppm nitrate. I dosed seachem flourish phosphorus. I am using a bio pellet reactor.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally just had this scenario, except my po4 is around .03-.04ppm and my nitrates were well above 100. ICP test reported 500ppm nitrate. I dosed seachem flourish phosphorus. I am using a bio pellet reactor.
Doesn't seachem flourish increase phosphate and bio pellets reduce? do you carbon dose to reduce nitrate ?

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source of carbon dosing is bio pellets, you got it I upped my p04 so the bacteria could consume it along with the nitrate. When my p04 got down to the low level(using hanna ULR phosphorus to detect) the nitrates would climb again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back