High Nutrients

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm after a bit of advice from high nutrient system keepers.

I've got a frag tank that's been running a while now but I've never been happy with it if I'm honest.

I'm trying to keep the tank simple by just using live rock and a small bag of gfo.

Currently my nitrates are about 75ppm (between 50 and 100).

My phosphates are 0.01 - 0.05, usually 0.05 but shoot down to 0.01 if I go a day without feeding. I'm testing with Hanna ULR so it's possible the reading could be slightly incorrect some days but still it's measuring low.

Am I being too zealous with regards to phosphate removal? Should I let it rise a bit?

Some zoas have grown and tbh the zoas seem ok but some of my palys are not happy at all.

My phycosis is completely shut, I've got a couple of others that are looking pale at the foot/base and any single head frags looks like their about to blow off the plugs at any point, like their not able to base out and spread across the plugs.

The colours aren't great, pale faded washed out pastel colours.

I'm a bit warry of just pulling the rowa in case the phos makes them light intollerant and bleach.

Any advice on this would be great as I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high flow and I dose Iodide/Iodate weekly..half strength dose...keep Alk SUPER stable,,youll hear many,many variables that work..lighting is always a key factor too..lower your NO3 to 10 at the highest

OP
OP
Fragzilla

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high flow and I dose Iodide/Iodate weekly..half strength dose...keep Alk SUPER stable,,youll hear many,many variables that work..lighting is always a key factor too..lower your NO3 to 10 at the highest

Hi thanks but that doesn't actually address the subject which is nutrients and more namely phosphate.

I dose iodine and autodose 2 part, got loads of flow and t5 lighting that worked in the same system before.

I'm just not getting any growth or colour. I'm questioning whether the lack of phosphate (or low in ratio) is inhibiting photosynthesis and also causing colour loss.

Some look white at the base and aren't attaching firmly to the plugs and spreading on the plug like you'd expect. The heads are dull and dark, my daisy duke palys are prodominatly black, they should be pink/red and iridescent.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any bio media in the sump. That help get my nitrates down to where they need to be and I run a GFO reactor for the phosphates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back