High PH, can’t keep alk up

Aubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Trying to catch a problem before it gets out of hand but not sure this is a problem or not.

Last month I added quite a bit of mixed livestock and have noticed since then PH has been through the roof (8.4 and going up daily) and I cannot seem to dose enough Alk to keep up with the demand. Currently I’m around 8.3-8.6 would like it closer to 9 so I’m dosing right now 400ml per day which is double what I used too and it still hasn’t moved much. I feel like if I dose more it’ll just make PH keep going up. Am I wrong?

Livestock looks better than it ever has so no ill effects just would like to keep them happy.

Currently my apex has my system set so it quits dosing alk if ph gets over 8.4 but I can’t have that so I took that configuration off. Is that correct? Also if ph is over 8.4 it alarms all day….how do I remove that alarm?

The husband is out on deployment so I’m left to babysit this thing and keep it from crashing which would result in imminent divorce LOL

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0925.jpeg IMG_0864.jpeg IMG_0866.jpeg

GirlGotTanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the open windows are contributing to the high PH. Can you keep the windows closed in just that room/area for a day or two to see if it helps? Randy wrote a great article on here about ways to raise PH, which is what a lot of new reefers have an issue with. In that, the premise was that the oxygen/C02 ratio can determine the ph. I open my windows when I'm raising my ph. I would recommend closing yours, at least in that room. :)

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t even make it 12 hours before alk dropped to 6.2 so I had to turn my doser back on. But I was able to get a decent reading on what my system uses during the day. It dropped 1.3dkh which equates to 185ml soda ash so times that by two and that’s my estimate daily? Understand that they don’t use as much during the night but it gives me something to go off of.

The current pH is fine. The current alk is also OK. 1.3 dKH used per day is also fine, but at higher alk it will be higher.. Alk drop depends strongly on the starting alk (the drop in 24 h is much more at higher alk).

If preciptiation of calcium carboante is an issue (hardening sand, coated pump impellers and heaters, etc.), then this is my general advice:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aubers

Aubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current pH is fine. The current alk is also OK. 1.3 dKH used per day is also fine, but at higher alk it will be higher.. Alk drop depends strongly on the starting alk (the drop in 24 h is much more at higher alk).

If preciptiation of calcium carboante is an issue (hardening sand, coated pump impellers and heaters, etc.), then this is my general advice:

3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.
Thanks Randy,

My starting alk dosing 600ml per day was 7.5 and dropping, after stop dosing it dropped to 6.2 in 12 daylight hours so theoretically my tank uses 2.6dkh per day.

My theory is this apex dos that dumps in 9.6 ml every 18 minutes. I’d like to get it to do it more slowly, the 1.1ml/minute method BRS suggests.

Also the fact that he’s got it dripping in the return which has no flow ‍♀️

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aubers

Aubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also explain to me this

Apex stops alk dosing at 6 to allow time for calcium to dose between 630-730

It’s now 710 so in about in hour span ph has dipped from 8.22 to 8.17 and dropping more.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also explain to me this

Apex stops alk dosing at 6 to allow time for calcium to dose between 630-730

It’s now 710 so in about in hour span ph has dipped from 8.22 to 8.17 and dropping more.

You are asking me to explain a small pH change?

pH will

1. rise during photosynthesis
2. fall due to production of CO2 by resipiration
3. Alk supplements can raise or lower pH, and after addition, pH will tend yo move back toward the starting point before dosing
4. Room CO2 levels will impact pH, so just standing by the tank can lower it. A party in the room can lower it a lot

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,

My starting alk dosing 600ml per day was 7.5 and dropping, after stop dosing it dropped to 6.2 in 12 daylight hours so theoretically my tank uses 2.6dkh per day.

My theory is this apex dos that dumps in 9.6 ml every 18 minutes. I’d like to get it to do it more slowly, the 1.1ml/minute method BRS suggests.

Also the fact that he’s got it dripping in the return which has no flow ‍♀️

Demand is usually higher during the day than night. In some tanks, it is nearly all during the day, so I would not assume 2.6 dKH is correct.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back