High Phosphates and No Nitrates

madmike183

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 Gallon Reef tank. I recently purchased a Hanna Phosphate ULR checker and get a consistent reading of .90 (three separate tests) could be higher than that as I understand that is the max reading for the device. I also tested Nitrates and it’s saying zero (api test kit is all I have at the moment)

I thought at first it was incorrect and tested my 10 gallon nano to see if the results differed and got .03

I have a branching hammer coral, two Duncan’s, several zoas and a GSP island that are thriving and show no signs of distress.

I do have one chalice that is clearly struggling and appears to be dying

Should I add phosguard? Dose nitrates? I don’t know which step to take next to get things back in line.

Tank is about a year old. I’ve searched the forums and have found answers all over the place. Anyone that has dealt with this have any advice?

Thank you in advance.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 36 Gallon Reef tank. I recently purchased a Hanna Phosphate ULR checker and get a consistent reading of .90 (three separate tests) could be higher than that as I understand that is the max reading for the device. I also tested Nitrates and it’s saying zero (api test kit is all I have at the moment)

I thought at first it was incorrect and tested my 10 gallon nano to see if the results differed and got .03

I have a branching hammer coral, two Duncan’s, several zoas and a GSP island that are thriving and show no signs of distress.

I do have one chalice that is clearly struggling and appears to be dying

Should I add phosguard? Dose nitrates? I don’t know which step to take next to get things back in line.

Tank is about a year old. I’ve searched the forums and have found answers all over the place. Anyone that has dealt with this have any advice?

Thank you in advance.
I would dose nitrates which should bring the phosphates down.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Zoas, Duncans, and GSP can soak up the nitrates. SPS can soak up phosphates. Right now you have nitrate eaters that have probably depleted the nitrates and you potentially have a high phosphate food like Reef Roids?

OP
OP
M

madmike183

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, Duncans, and GSP can soak up the nitrates. SPS can soak up phosphates. Right now you have nitrate eaters that have probably depleted the nitrates and you potentially have a high phosphate food like Reef Roids?
That makes sense. I mainly feed frozen mysis and brine shrimp a couple times a week. I do feed Rods complete food once a week or so.

I don’t have any coral specific food cause they seem to have been doing well without it.

OP
OP
M

madmike183

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I mainly feed frozen mysis and brine shrimp a couple times a week. I do feed Rods complete food once a week or so.

I don’t have any coral specific food cause they seem to have been doing well without it.
I feed daily to just clarify. I just change up what I feed.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates (with carbon dosing) or just using phosphate removal media would be the best way of solving this issue. Just make sure you go very slow regardless of which option you choose

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using organic methods to remove phosphates is very hard, IMO. You are going to keep chemicals or media to make much of a dent.

If you have stuff growing and are feeding your fish well, there is little chance that you are nitrogen limited.

Read up on the different ways to lower phosphate like aluminum oxide, GFO or lanthanum chloride. All of them can work. Each has their pros and cons from cost to ease. If you have any questions on the methods, then let us know.

Some think that pellet food has more P in it than frozen. There is some evidence that supports this. There is also evidence that the main difference between frozen and dry is the water content. I have never heard that frozen food has more P in it than dry. I don't expect there to be much difference in the end... not enough to worry about for most folks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back