High Power LED's on a reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter eswebster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If i were to design or go with a high power LED setup i would recommend that it be only used for daylighting and that a florecent actinic setup be used along with it. The blues for these particular LEDs were horrid at providing anything more than a pop to corals. The water column literally looked like no lights were on at all.... just dark with the fish almost invisible.

I agree though it was just a poor first attempt setup and i should have known better.

There is no point to using a fluorescent tube just for actinic supplimentation or color. With a properly set up LED rig, it will light up the tank every bit as well as a T5, PC, or MH setup.
 
There is no point to using a fluorescent tube just for actinic supplimentation or color. With a properly set up LED rig, it will light up the tank every bit as well as a T5, PC, or MH setup.

+1

On my SPS tank its all LEDs with great growth awesome looks. On my 570 Mixed I have 8 T5s but to save on electricity I'm thinking of pulling them. I only run them 4-6 hours a day depending on the seasonal sunrise from my Apex. I'm in no hurry to pull them as running them this way the bulbs last 18-24 months and I still have 8 new ones. T5s are really optional and I only recommend them if you already have the hardware as I did. Otherwise they are more expensive in the long run and as evic66 said there is no point using them just for actinic supplementation or colour.

Bill
 
Cannon LED pendant from Ecoxotic gets real, in 50 watt blue or white

That tank that was in this article is actually ran by 2x250W halide with 4x54W T-5 the entire time. But the article kinda persuade people to think that the cannon has been on it for a while. They came to the LFS and took out the Halide unit, turn off the lights and BAM took some pictures and left. That was that.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new