High ppm all of sudden?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon block is the second or third canister in your series. Some run 2, some run 2 sediment filter, but typically it's right after the sediment filter.

It's typically a black cartridge with white webbing.

No problem at all. We were all noobs at one point.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon block is the second or third canister in your series. Some run 2, some run 2 sediment filter, but typically it's right after the sediment filter.

It's typically a black cartridge with white webbing.

No problem at all. We were all noobs at one point.
So i shouldnt be worried you mean as if i have chlorine the carbon block willl take care of it? In my RO? And if thsts the case whats the 50 tds i introduced to my system?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine will destroy a RO membrane, so no, chlorine will not be removed by the RO.

The carbon block is what removes it. If you have chloramines, the carbon block may remove it until it's depleted(no way to tell), then it will enter the RO membrane, and trash that.

The 50 TDS is likely TSD creep. Your DI resin was cleaning it up, until it was exhausted. The more you put water through depleted DI, it will unbind some of what it bound, resulting in higher TDS then what is coming out of the RO membrane.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note.....

No real way to tell if your pre filters are used up other then a pressure gauge. As the pressure drops, it tells you your pre filters are used up and time to replace them.

On my system, just as a precaution, when I change out my DI resin, I change all my pre filters too.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system that you linked has two carbon blocks and will remove chlorine and chloramines. I would not worry about that with as little of water you have made.

1652186311677.png

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine will destroy a RO membrane, so no, chlorine will not be removed by the RO.

The carbon block is what removes it. If you have chloramines, the carbon block may remove it until it's depleted(no way to tell), then it will enter the RO membrane, and trash that.

The 50 TDS is likely TSD creep. Your DI resin was cleaning it up, until it was exhausted. The more you put water through depleted DI, it will unbind some of what it bound, resulting in higher TDS then what is coming out of the RO membrane.
Okay thanks

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note.....

No real way to tell if your pre filters are used up other then a pressure gauge. As the pressure drops, it tells you your pre filters are used up and time to replace them.

On my system, just as a precaution, when I change out my DI resin, I change all my pre filters too.
I run at a pressure of 80psi. With my booster pump? I should change all of them. I just cant believe this is happening to me. I got the unit 2 weeks ago...

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note.....

Im honesty very confused. What my next step should be now? Get the valves, and the y splitter. And change all filters? Im not sure how to avoid this issue in the future.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im honesty very confused. What my next step should be now? Get the valves, and the y splitter. And change all filters? Im not sure how to avoid this issue in the future.

Source TDS 133
After Membrane TDS ?
After DI TDS 15

Knowing what the TDS is coming out of the membrane will help figure out your next step.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source TDS 133
After Membrane TDS ?
After DI TDS 15

Knowing what the TDS is coming out of the membrane will help figure out your next step.
After membrance? How do i test after membrance. And actually after DI it starts at 10 and goes up to 50

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After membrance? How do i test after membrance. And actually after DI it starts at 10 and goes up to 50

The system you posted a link for comes with HM Digital Inline Dual TDS Meter

Is that correct?

If so slide the switch to in to get that number

1652189318106.png

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disconnect the line going into the DI, run into cup, measure with pen.

All I would do, test after RO, depending on that number I would either replace the RO, or leave it be. It all depends on the number you get.

If the post RO number is fine, then the membrane is fine, but we need to know what that number is.

For now, to fix your current issue:
Replace DI resin, install 3 way valve, and Y. Flush the unit as describe before each use.

For future upgrades, might want to consider the 3 probe TDS meter. That way you can test your incoming water, post RO, and post DI.

Knowing the post RO number will help you flush the unit better, and let you know when the RO needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All I would do, test after RO, depending on that number I would either replace the RO, or leave it be. It all depends on the number you get.

If the post RO number is fine, then the membrane is fine, but we need to know what that number is.

Replace DI resin, install 3 way valve, and Y. Flush the unit as describe before each use.

For future upgrades, might want to consider the 3 probe TDS meter. That way you can test your incoming water, post RO, and post DI.

Knowing the post RO number will help you flush the unit better, and let you know when the RO needs to be replaced.
Why the water is faster when flushing?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help. Simple 3way valve on the RO line before it goes to the DI. You can also accomplish the same thing with a T splitter and a couple valves. Opening the RO Flush valve and shutting the DI bypass valve will clear the first half gallon of RO water before sending it to the DI. After a couple minutes shut the RO Flush valve and open the DI Bypass valve and water will go through to the DI stage. I collect the RO flush water and use on plants and coffee maker etc.
IMG_5353[1].jpg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Homer. I just got back from work did 3 different tests. One fkr my maib source waterm was 63ppm. Then did a test disconnected the DI. Flushed for 3min. Checked my RO. Without DI. And its giving me 116 ppm. Whats happening? And then DI connected i get like 63ppm.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer. I just got back from work did 3 different tests. One fkr my maib source waterm was 63ppm. Then did a test disconnected the DI. Flushed for 3min. Checked my RO. Without DI. And its giving me 116 ppm. Whats happening? And then DI connected i get like 63ppm.
That's not right??
I think you have a bad membrane.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back