HIGH TEMPS: A little $$ can get you 3 to 5 degrees! Do you use one of these?

How do you keep your aquarium temperatures down during the hot months?

• Fan

Votes: 254 36.8%
  • Chiller

Votes: 112 16.2%
  • No need

Votes: 275 39.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 49 7.1%

• Total voters

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question- how does everyone with an enclosed hood keep their tanks cool?

The wifey made me enclose the sump and build a tank topper to eliminate noise and the occasional skimmer odor. Since doing so I've noticed a drastic increase in tank temps, even with my ac set to 71-72. I assume a fan wont help much since it will just be recirculating the same air.
My biocube is closed and the temps raise in the afternoon. I have a fan pointed into the holes in the back of the tank that is attached to my inkbird temp controller. It's not fantastic at reducing the temp, but it does seem to keep it from raising further. So I have it set to kick on around 79.8 degrees and so far my tank hasn't gone above that. It's only June, but its been hot here (high 80s to 90 and super humid) so it seems like it'll work for the summer. The fan has been coming on a bit earlier lately.

John Hathaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Dubai and it’s very hot all year round. Relying on the aircon is too much of a risk and too expensive. I use a TECO chiller which is brilliant and more cost effective

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you built the hoods, but can you put small computer fans in the build of the hoods? Have them pull air out. Have a gap or something on the bottom so they can pull air through.

I'm sure she wont be happy that the noise and smell is back, but it may be what has to happen!! Hahaha.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biocube is closed and the temps raise in the afternoon. I have a fan pointed into the holes in the back of the tank that is attached to my inkbird temp controller. It's not fantastic at reducing the temp, but it does seem to keep it from raising further. So I have it set to kick on around 79.8 degrees and so far my tank hasn't gone above that. It's only June, but its been hot here (high 80s to 90 and super humid) so it seems like it'll work for the summer. The fan has been coming on a bit earlier lately.

I live on a lake where full basements are not an option, so I'm limited to a 3ft tall, dirt floor, crawlspace. I'm flirting with running 50ft of hose down there along the cool earth and connecting to my manifold with a 24v solenoid. Kinda a wannabe geo-thermal. Do you have anywhere possible for that at your location?

Anyone else try what I'm proposing?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your room temp is 80F then it's simply a matter of blasting enough fans at your tank to keep it in the low 80s. The lower the room temp, the easier it is. If your room temp is 85F then it's a losing battle and you will need to chill your tank.

I honestly dont see the need for chilling unless you start getting above 85F.

Although I rarely need it I'm building a chiller out of a jagermeister display cooler a bar owner friend gave me.

LEDs are pretty efficient, but they still cause tanks to heat up. Just put your hand underneath an LED fixture and you can feel it. All that energy gets absorbed by your tank water. I've found spacing a few sheets of plate glass underneath halides or bigger LED fixtures significantly helps this problem.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three USB powered personal desktop fans running on my garage growout tank. Even when the garage heats up to high 90s, tank doesn’t go past 82.5F. good to live in relatively dry Northern California where evaporative cooling works quite well.

7C3C7985-E4B9-4FBE-BE2E-002E559271AF.jpeg

Baby Stroller Cooling Fans, EasyAcc USB Clip Fan for Strollers 720°Rotation Mini Desk Fan Strong Wind Portable Fan 2 Speeds Personal Cooling Fan for Crib Home Office Camping Outdoor (USB POWERED ONLY)

Last edited:

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the air conditioning. Even when I lived in AZ that’s all I used. When the air conditioning in AZ broke for a week I turned off the lights and used two clip on fans from Home Depot. The outside temp was 115 but my tank never went above 88 and all my fish and corals survived.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep our house the temp of an icebox up here in Wisco, no need for chillers, but the heaters get a workout :p

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Florida I we run the A/C 24/7, during the day the temp SP is 76 and during nights 74, the thank never gets above 78.9

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller. Way cheaper than paying to cool my entire house in AZ in the summer.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Printed a simple fan enclosure for 120mm PC Fans. Works great in California, even in the summer with no AC.

1591310481938.png

1591310596668.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other since there wasn't an option for both fans AND a chiller.
Fans, and to take up the slack a chiller. Employing the most cost effective way with fans and having a chiller when things go beyond the set temperature range are what provides me the piece-of-mind needed... for me...

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a small house in central NY with no AC and my Nuvo 40 sits near a window which is always open. Temps have already gotten to over 90 degrees a few days. Bought a clip on fan from Walmart for $8.88 and it keeps temps at 78.8 without issue. Just have to get ahead of it an turn it on in the morning rather than trying to chase it after its already over 80.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of 24V DC computer fans and mounted them on the cover over my cost to coast overflow. I can run them off of one of the 24DC outlets on my Apex EB832 so they don't take an AC outlet and are controlled by my controller. I only need them during the summer but it works well to drop the temp by a couple of degrees.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back