(Old)

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details, details.

Stocking list. Equioment list. Estimated gallons/liters of blood filled tears you have shed over the course of your reefkeeping!?!? ...Or is that last one just me?

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Marineland has a coral life clip-on LED(Have a strict budget), a tetra 75W heater,and (unknown brand)submersible pump.
(Current)Stocking:
1 cleaner shrimp
1 red legged hermit crab
6 dwarf cerith snails
Ton of pineapple sponges
GSP
Green Mushroom coral
Rainbow Ricordea
Tons of micro fauna
Random neutral hitchhikers

My reef keeping hobby hasn’t been that work intensive, my animals look happy. I’ve been in the hobby a couple of months but I’ve learned a lot. Most of the stuff I learned only apply to large tanks though. And considering my financial situation, I can only do nano tanks.

My biocube is a work-in-progress. Suggestions?

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get more CUC for the Marineland because these cerith snails are kind of pathetic at cleaning. The cleaner shrimp only eats food I feed it and the hermit crab likes to stare at the glass.

Suggestions for good CUC members for 5g Marineland?

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 5g Marineland.
I have one very old rock and one I just got. This is a pic from this morning.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about crappy phone camera and the excessive amount of macrobes(copepods, amphipods, and munnid isopods). I’m trying to rid of a film algae problem that got in the tank via cerith snail shell.

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be transferring this 5g to my 16g when it’s cycles. Because maintenance with the 5g is excessive. And it has more space. I will show pics of biocube next week. Also my 5g is going through a ugly stage.

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be transferring this 5g to my 16g when it’s cycles. Because maintenance with the 5g is excessive. And it has more space. I will show pics of biocube next week. Also my 5g is going through a ugly stage.
What's the main issue with the 5g? Apart from the uglies

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the main issue with the 5g? Apart from the uglies

It’s a couple of issues
Its nitrates skyrocket weekly and my aquascaping work left me with a one rock to work with without taking all of the space. Now that I look at it, I should have did some rock stacking since it’s a tall rectangle not in peninsula or box format. Plus it’s getting a bit crowded because my coral growth is okay.

I see about 2 cm of growth each day. I mean it’s a mushroom and gsp tank(currently) so they grow a lot quicker than other corals. These are my test corals right now. Otherwise, there isn’t a lot of problems. I do 25-50% weekly (every Saturday) those keep the nitrates in check. It has medium/low flow and a 80 par light, so low light and flow corals that are hardy are my planned (soft)corals.

Also, saltwater fish keeping is not my forte in both advice and actually keeping the fish. So that’s why I mainly keep invertebrates. I plan to keep a goby(still debating which one) with a pistol shrimp(possibly). I’m also taking suggestions from others, so if you got a suggestion for a fish for 16 gallon, please post it.

That’s all to cover right now.

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a couple of issues
Its nitrates skyrocket weekly and my aquascaping work left me with a one rock to work with without taking all of the space. Now that I look at it, I should have did some rock stacking since it’s a tall rectangle not in peninsula or box format. Plus it’s getting a bit crowded because my coral growth is okay.

I see about 2 cm of growth each day. I mean it’s a mushroom and gsp tank(currently) so they grow a lot quicker than other corals. These are my test corals right now. Otherwise, there isn’t a lot of problems. I do 25-50% weekly (every Saturday) those keep the nitrates in check. It has medium/low flow and a 80 par light, so low light and flow corals that are hardy are my planned (soft)corals.

Also, saltwater fish keeping is not my forte in both advice and actually keeping the fish. So that’s why I mainly keep invertebrates. I plan to keep a goby(still debating which one) with a pistol shrimp(possibly). I’m also taking suggestions from others, so if you got a suggestion for a fish for 16 gallon, please post it.

That’s all to cover right now.

Had to google the tank quickly, have you blocked that vent towards the lower section of the tank that leads to the filtration section? I ran a little Fluval Spec 3 that had similar, once I blocked that off and replaced the sponge with a DIY media rack I didn't have a nitrates issue anymore.

I like the minimal rock look, leaves more room for coral growth, something like a Kenya tree, toadstool or finger leather would get some nice height off of that rock, could try a gorgonian as well I suppose.

I've had clowns, Tailspot blenny, aiptasia eating Filefish, Wrasses and Damsels. Personally I like to have fish that work in the tank so for the 16...

Pink Streak/ Pinstripe Wrasse
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Tailspot Blenny

Would stick to leathers and softies with those fish, especially the Filefish.

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to google the tank quickly, have you blocked that vent towards the lower section of the tank that leads to the filtration section? I ran a little Fluval Spec 3 that had similar, once I blocked that off and replaced the sponge with a DIY media rack I didn't have a nitrates issue anymore.

I like the minimal rock look, leaves more room for coral growth, something like a Kenya tree, toadstool or finger leather would get some nice height off of that rock, could try a gorgonian as well I suppose.

I've had clowns, Tailspot blenny, aiptasia eating Filefish, Wrasses and Damsels. Personally I like to have fish that work in the tank so for the 16...

Pink Streak/ Pinstripe Wrasse
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Tailspot Blenny

Would stick to leathers and softies with those fish, especially the Filefish.
I’ll have to block that vent when I’m doing my water change today, I’m going to put some DIY biological filtration down there. I already have a DIY carbon bag behind the cartridge to prevent softie chemical warfare.

I have been looking to leather corals, toadstools, and similar corals as well because I like their aesthetic. I like the examples of fish that would work in a 16 gallon. However, I don’t know much about the filefish. I don’t have any aiptasia and I heard they like to pick at coral once there isn’t anymore aiptasia. What foods can I feed a filefish without aiptasia? If I even get one.

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to block that vent when I’m doing my water change today, I’m going to put some DIY biological filtration down there. I already have a DIY carbon bag behind the cartridge to prevent softie chemical warfare.

I have been looking to leather corals, toadstools, and similar corals as well because I like their aesthetic. I like the examples of fish that would work in a 16 gallon. However, I don’t know much about the filefish. I don’t have any aiptasia and I heard they like to pick at coral once there isn’t anymore aiptasia. What foods can I feed a filefish without aiptasia? If I even get one.

Mine ate everything I offered it, took flake from my hands. Pellets, mysis, BBS, nori.

It did nip sps but left the leathers alone

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 16 arrived. Comments or suggestions on aquascape and lighting schedule(it’s going to be a softie dominated tank)?
I’ll get better pic in a second.
image.jpg

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are u planning on getting?
I would say 2 clowns+ a cleaner shrimp + a snail or hermit
or 1 clown + a goby + a cleaner shrimp + a snail or hermit
for the 16.
It might be a lot tho.

OP
OP
Pablopufferfish

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are u planning on getting?
I would say 2 clowns+ a cleaner shrimp + a snail or hermit
or 1 clown + a goby + a cleaner shrimp + a snail or hermit
for the 16.
It might be a lot tho.
I already have a cleaner shrimp, 9 snail(6 dwarf cerith and 3 nerite), and 2 idk what kind they are hermits.

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 16 arrived. Comments or suggestions on aquascape and lighting schedule(it’s going to be a softie dominated tank)?
I’ll get better pic in a second.
image.jpg

What sort of scapes do you like?
To me that rock at the front would make a great ledge if it was turned upside down and placed on top of another

Have a play, take pictures and play again

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back