Highest utility second tank

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

New to reefing and greatly enjoying the 4th month of our new Red Sea max e 170. Things have come so far since my undergravel filter bare tank of the 80’s! We are running a young mixed reef and are enjoying the journey.

We are now considering a nano for our bedroom. We like to keep things small and manageable. We are not trying to mimic our display tank. We are more interested in the sound and lighting effects so we are open to setting it up to be more utilitarian. If you had a second display tank, what would you do? A FOWLER setup full of coral-eating badguys? A stripped down quarantine tank? Some form of hybrid setup?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

New to reefing and greatly enjoying the 4th month of our new Red Sea max e 170. Things have come so far since my undergravel filter bare tank of the 80’s! We are running a young mixed reef and are enjoying the journey.

We are now considering a nano for our bedroom. We like to keep things small and manageable. We are not trying to mimic our display tank. We are more interested in the sound and lighting effects so we are open to setting it up to be more utilitarian. If you had a second display tank, what would you do? A FOWLER setup full of coral-eating badguys? A stripped down quarantine tank? Some form of hybrid setup?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!
I'm glad you ask as I'm currently in the works of doing something similar :) I have my main tank, and I want to do a nano tank in my room. I'm thinking its going to be the IM Nuvo 10 AIO with an AI Prime HD. It's going to be a mini mixed reef of my main tank. The nice thing about this is on my main tank, I was kind of playing it by ear, so my coral is kind of scattered to what worked best at the time. And don't get me wrong I love my main tank, but in the nano I kind of have a better idea on how I want to structure it so that I don't have to worry about corals fighting as much down the road as I do with my main tank and have it look a little more put together :)

OP
OP
Edp251

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you ask as I'm currently in the works of doing something similar :) I have my main tank, and I want to do a nano tank in my room. I'm thinking its going to be the IM Nuvo 10 AIO with an AI Prime HD. It's going to be a mini mixed reef of my main tank. The nice thing about this is on my main tank, I was kind of playing it by ear, so my coral is kind of scattered to what worked best at the time. And don't get me wrong I love my main tank, but in the nano I kind of have a better idea on how I want to structure it so that I don't have to worry about corals fighting as much down the road as I do with my main tank and have it look a little more put together :)

Cool. Agree. Doing a mini version of our display tank would likely be the most interesting. If you don’t mind me asking, what would you do differently? Maybe focus on a few specifics? If I were to do an evolved and focused version of my DT, I would likely go with mostly LPS, especially a few euphyllias, and just a few strikingly bright little fishes. We like the movement and fluorescence of the hammers, frogsspawns, candy canes and Duncan’s. They all also seem to be thriving the best in our DT. Thx again!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Agree. Doing a mini version of our display tank would likely be the most interesting. If you don’t mind me asking, what would you do differently? Maybe focus on a few specifics? If I were to do an evolved and focused version of my DT, I would likely go with mostly LPS, especially a few euphyllias, and just a few strikingly bright little fishes. We like the movement and fluorescence of the hammers, frogsspawns, candy canes and Duncan’s. They all also seem to be thriving the best in our DT. Thx again!
I'd have to get a fish that I don't own, so clowns are out, and firefish are out. So it'd probably be a goby of some sort. And I think coral wise, I'll do alot of the same corals (just because it's more cost effective and easier to frag from my main tank) but the layout of the corals in the tank I think i'd have a better idea of how to place them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back