Hindsight

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, brand new reefer here; expecting my tank delivery today and will be starting the cycle over the weekend.

My question is for all your experienced reefers… with the benefit of hindsight, what ONE piece of practical/actionable advice would you give yourself if you could go back to the beginning? (Avoiding the old “nothing happens fast…” or “just enjoy it” aspirational tropes, lol).

I’m interested to hear what you took for granted, or were just totally unaware of when you started out in the hobby!

Thanks

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, brand new reefer here; expecting my tank delivery today and will be starting the cycle over the weekend.

My question is for all your experienced reefers… with the benefit of hindsight, what ONE piece of practical/actionable advice would you give yourself if you could go back to the beginning? (Avoiding the old “nothing happens fast…” or “just enjoy it” aspirational tropes, lol).

I’m interested to hear what you took for granted, or were just totally unaware of when you started out in the hobby!

Thanks
With hindsight if I were to start again, I would just get all the high quality equipment I needed at the start instead of getting them piecemeal because of financial constraints and thinking that I really don't need them.

My equipment list that you really should start with:
- good lights
- some sort of wave maker
- controller
- good skimmer
- doser
- ato

You can save alot of money by just buying these used from other reefers. Just make sure you get them cause they will increase your enjoyment of this hobby.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I learnt is to never put a fish into your tank that you plan to take out again once it grows up/becomes aggressive. It is a mission removing any fish from a tank.
Oh that’s a good one. I started off thinking I could put a small Yellow Tang in my tank and re-home it once it got too big, but I’ve since decided against that, and going to opt for a Kole Tang instead.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With hindsight if I were to start again, I would just get all the high quality equipment I needed at the start instead of getting them piecemeal because of financial constraints and thinking that I really don't need them.

My equipment list that you really should start with:
- good lights
- some sort of wave maker
- controller
- good skimmer
- doser
- ato

You can save alot of money by just buying these used from other reefers. Just make sure you get them cause they will increase your enjoyment of this hobby.
Agree with that one, I’ve has many hobbies over the years and anything you really enjoy, you always end up “upgrading” things, ultimately spending more money than if you just got what you wanted at the start.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have gone for the biggest tank I could get from the start.. saves a lot of time, effort and money in the future.
This is a trap I fell into, but it was kore driven by me putting a financial limit on my entrance fee to the hobby. I’ve got a Red Sea Reefer G2+ 170, but I have a feeling I might out grow it.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up an observation or qt tank and observe new fish prior to adding to my display tank. I had 2 large tank wipeouts due to diseases. One from ich when I first started out, and another from velvet about 5 years after that. I lost thousands of $ worth of fish and fish that I had for many years. I will never make that mistake again.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up an observation or qt tank and observe new fish prior to adding to my display tank. I had 2 large tank wipeouts due to diseases. One from ich when I first started out, and another from velvet about 5 years after that. I lost thousands of $ worth of fish and fish that I had for many years. I will never make that mistake again.
Totally get that, I’m not sure I want 2 tanks to manage right away, though. I suppose a QT tank doesn’t need to be big or fancy; just need a container, heater and something for fish to take shelter in, right? Already making salt water for a main tank.

I was wondering if you can pre-treat a tank when you put in new fish, like a preventative measure of some sort? Sorta like dipping corals?

Last edited:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you getting and are you going to run a sump?
I have a 40 gallon with HOB equipment but wish I had drilled and setup with a sump/refugium.

My biggest mistake was letting my phosphates bottom out (0.0 ppm for a while) at around the 6-8 month mark so had a bit of a dinoflagellate outbreak that I had to battle for a couple of months.
*so I'd say, don't do that

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you getting and are you going to run a sump?
I have a 40 gallon with HOB equipment but wish I had drilled and setup with a sump/refugium.

My biggest mistake was letting my phosphates bottom out (0.0 ppm for a while) at around the 6-8 month mark so had a bit of a dinoflagellate outbreak that I had to battle for a couple of months.
*so I'd say, don't do that
I've got a Red Sea Reefer G2+ 170 (so that's about 36gal total volume), it comes with a sump yeah, and everything I need apart from a heater (which I've bought separately, a good titanium one with a separate temp controller). I've definitely not gone the cheap route for a first tank I don't think.

Do you dose phosphates now, or did it stabalise once the algae problem cleared?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Red Sea Reefer G2+ 170 (so that's about 36gal total volume), it comes with a sump yeah, and everything I need apart from a heater (which I've bought separately, a good titanium one with a separate temp controller). I've definitely not gone the cheap route for a first tank I don't think.

Do you dose phosphates now, or did it stabalise once the algae problem cleared?
I was dosing phosphate daily (and more than expected) for a good 6-8 months to maintain detectable levels but it eventually stabilized so I don't dose any more.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t but I recommend you start with live rock. The 18 years I’ve had tanks I’ve used nothing but live. My current tank will reach the two year mark in four days. I’ve had the usual algae out breaks but less severe and shorter duration as some the posters here that began with dry. Also I haven’t had dinos, excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. In the early days, anything that you to do cycle will work out if you are patient. Nature knows what to do. Don't believe anybody selling you that they have the only way to do it.

Also, don't trust BRS or anybody selling you things. Avoid most equipment and test kits from PetCo, PetSmart, etc. Better versions of almost anything are available at reefing stores for the same money, or just a bit more. For example, Salifert test kits vs API.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get clownfish as some of your first fish just because that’s what everyone does. If you want a clownfish, that’s great, then get 1 (or 2). I like mine and I’m glad I got them, a regular Oscellaris and a DaVinci Extreme. Many posters here seem to regret getting clowns - some will bite and draw blood - so far, over a year in, mine don’t bite (or at least haven’t so far).

If You want clowns, check out all of the different choices - there’s a ton. However, as you’ll see in these forums, beware of the aggressive maroons!

Now, on the other hand, I’m not sure I’d get Bangaii Cardinals again. I don’t hate mine, but they’re not the most active and aren’t the most colorful. After all, it was the colors of the saltwater fish that drew me to the hobby.

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 2nd job and SHREAD/HIDE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!!!!

It takes practice but - Try to not start every conversation with my saltwater fish, tank, or corals....

***** BOOKS ARE GOLD!!!
Good luck and enjoy the EXPERIENCE.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back