Hiposalinity in 180G DT

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a ICK in my 180G fish tank and take decision to try a hyposalinity erradication method. I'm in the forth week of treatment on display tank at 1,008 (refractometer calibrated) and I have not seen any white spots for two weeks. I have a good auto top off system to keep salinity on target... I wonder if I can add an Juv Emperor and a Flame angel to the display tank during hypo treat. The fishes have been in my quarantine for three weaks now and there is no sign of any disease, they are eating very well. Its ok If a make a good aclimatation to introduce them to DT ? The Idea is after 6 - 8 weeks rise salinity slowly with all together.
In DT are: 1 YT, 1 Powder Blue, 1 Gold Rim, 1 Rock Beauty, 1 Royal gramma, 3 Clowns, 4 neon gobies. Many Thanks!

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off i never recommend treatments in DT. But we are far past that at this point.
If you add more fish to this hypo tank you clock resets and starts all over again. Even though you have those fish in QT and are doing well but you dont know if they have parasite in gills or not. Same goes for ich in gills which is very hard to predict and is most commonly the first organs its attacks is gills.
Like i said if you do add the QT fis to DT i would restart the whole hyposalinity time clock as day one.

OP
OP
Fábio Cruz

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, due to the fact that I did not have a hospital tank big enough to treat all the fish of the tank and the big stress to catch all them, I ended up treating it inside the system and trying to eradicate the Ick. I had no losses, but the fishes were already well stressed, especially the PB and GR with many points throughout the body.
After a few days of lowering to 1.008 all points fell.
I am also reinforcing my food with a variety of diets specially with NLS ICK Shield to help but I can not tell if it is actually contributing to the success of the treatment.
I should probably slowly lower (3 days) the salinity in the quarantine until I reach 1.008 and transfer to the display
Regards

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish can handle lowering salinity better than raising it. But still its better to drop in few days. Once you have matched the salinity keep an eye on pH as it will drop and you want to make sure it doesnt drop too far and stays within 7.7-8.2 range.
Again i cant stress on this point enough, Once you move the qt fish to hospital tank, your treatment clock goes back to day 1 and will need to do the whole 6-8 weeks of hyposalinity.

OP
OP
Fábio Cruz

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, Im using baking soda to keep the pH at 8.2 on display. Do You know If flame angel are resistent at Hypo for so long?

OP
OP
Fábio Cruz

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I saw some ICK signals on Powder Blue, even afther almost 3 weeks fron last time. The Hypo still at 1.008, this should be a resistent cepa? Or is too early to know?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back