Hyposalinity in DT no qt tank

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon fish only tank 0ne firefish, 2 clowns, one diamond watchman gobie, one female lyrtail anthias, one hippo tang, red leg crabs and snails. Water quality is good. Tank is 7 weeks old. I treated for flukes 3 days ago prazipro. Hippo has ich. I have no qt tank. I've read Hyposalinity is a good treatment. But how slow do I lower Salinity. I've read to bring it down to 1.009 im at 1.024. All suggestions and experiences accepted please and thank you. All fish are a active and eating good especially hippo he's a lunatic and a pig.

20231218_194046.jpg 20231218_194044.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 75 gallon fish only tank 0ne firefish, 2 clowns, one diamond watchman gobie, one female lyrtail anthias, one hippo tang, red leg crabs and snails. Water quality is good. Tank is 7 weeks old. I treated for flukes 3 days ago prazipro. Hippo has ich. I have no qt tank. I've read Hyposalinity is a good treatment. But how slow do I lower Salinity. I've read to bring it down to 1.009 im at 1.024. All suggestions and experiences accepted please and thank you. All fish are a active and eating good especially hippo he's a lunatic and a pig.

Hypo often stresses certain fish in which some of yours qualify. The hepatus has bumps on its belly and denotes something else going on Which may be related to water quality and/or diet.
Tank itself may have not fully matured and is quickly stocked for 7 weeks old as you are still subject to spikes in ammonia and nitrate. Hypo is not the answer but fish does have ich, coppersafe best bet
Prazi pro takes 2-3 days just to start working, so fish are just getting treated as with prazi, to be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dose the prazipro and do water change at day 8 and dose again and then repeat a third time. Could the bumps on the stomach be from him eating like a pig. I feed frozen brine , professional formula xtreame Aquatic foods marine krill, and porphyra yezoensis sea weed. Can I use copper in dt ? It's all fish and red Leg crabs and snails and live rock i run two canester filters. if so how do I do it. I cant get qt until after Xmas.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and hyposalinity would both probably kill your inverts and any corals in the tank, so you'll need a temporary home for them if you're treating the DT either way.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to copper in the DT, see below (your mileage may vary with this, so it's not recommended):
I’ve heard similar to lion king’s comment from others: water changes with cuprisorb and poly filters seems to work (at least in some cases).

Some threads with examples:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can run hypo in your DT, but you need to remove all invertebrates - snails, crabs, etc. Here is a write up I did about that:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back