Hippo Tang Death

chrissymoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Our blue hippo tang suddenly died and I’m suspecting it was my fault :( We had a freeze last night and the tank temperature had dropped significantly lower (72 degrees) compared to the 82 we like to keep it at. I put in two smaller heaters equivalent to one larger heater (I’m in the process of buying a duplicate heater to put on the opposite side of the tank to regulate the temperature). Anyways, when I checked the temp of the tank this morning it was 87!!!!!!!!!! I nearly had a heart attack. I saw the tang was wedged tightly in a rock. I went to move her (him) and I couldn’t get her (him?) out. When I went to check on her, I tried to get her (him?) out of the rock again and it took a lot (I mean A LOT) of wiggling her back and forth… she floated to the top and was dead. I’m devastated. I don’t know if the temperature was the issue or something else. Please see attached photo. All the other fish seem to be doing fine (clowns, damsel, blenny, wrasse).

A76B5C5F-1805-42B5-A7D5-7F03D3B290A9.jpeg E82E265B-D65B-47A5-ADA7-37F62CCF7B68.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all. Our blue hippo tang suddenly died and I’m suspecting it was my fault :( We had a freeze last night and the tank temperature had dropped significantly lower (72 degrees) compared to the 82 we like to keep it at. I put in two smaller heaters equivalent to one larger heater (I’m in the process of buying a duplicate heater to put on the opposite side of the tank to regulate the temperature). Anyways, when I checked the temp of the tank this morning it was 87!!!!!!!!!! I nearly had a heart attack. I saw the tang was wedged tightly in a rock. I went to move her (him) and I couldn’t get her (him?) out. When I went to check on her, I tried to get her (him?) out of the rock again and it took a lot (I mean A LOT) of wiggling her back and forth… she floated to the top and was dead. I’m devastated. I don’t know if the temperature was the issue or something else. Please see attached photo. All the other fish seem to be doing fine (clowns, damsel, blenny, wrasse).

A76B5C5F-1805-42B5-A7D5-7F03D3B290A9.jpeg E82E265B-D65B-47A5-ADA7-37F62CCF7B68.jpeg
There is no way to know - how are the other fish doing? How long was your tang in the tank?

Low to high temperature - can certainly cause oxygen problems - Sorry about yoru fish - but more information would be helpful.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s horrible I’m sorry. We’ve all done things like that before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back