Hippo

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound sound ridiculous, but could i get a hippo tang or foxface rabbitfish, or a powder blue tang in a 100 gallon? 60x18x24 preferably a hippo but any would be amazing. Some say minimum tank size 125, 100, 150, so i need more input. I have a picasso trigger, a valentini puffer, 2 domino damsels, and a little clown.
Foxface would be my recommendation. The powder blue no, I for sure think they need a six foot tank to swim (72inches). Mine has almost doubled in size in the 2 months I had her and she uses every inch of the six feet to swim. I think thats asking for aggression issues in a smaller since they can have a nasty temper. You might be okay with a hippo for a little, but they are so hard to get out of the tank without taking rocks out because its unbelievable where they can fit!! I say no for that unless you can take all the rocks out when you need to move it. Foxface is probably the best fish for your tank in my opinion!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface should be ok, PB, that's another story. They are ******s in general.
Lol yeah mine is a baby right now but boy does she hate the fact my purple is bigger than her and Queen tang of the tank lol.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface would be my recommendation. The powder blue no, I for sure think they need a six foot tank to swim (72inches). Mine has almost doubled in size in the 2 months I had her and she uses every inch of the six feet to swim. I think thats asking for aggression issues in a smaller since they can have a nasty temper. You might be okay with a hippo for a little, but they are so hard to get out of the tank without taking rocks out because its unbelievable where they can fit!! I say no for that unless you can take all the rocks out when you need to move it. Foxface is probably the best fish for your tank in my opinion!
Yeah, my PBT does not stop swimming. I am pretty much observing him for the entire last two days for aggression towards new fish, and I am getting tired just watching him swim everywhere. It's nonstop. I am thinking 180 minimum.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound sound ridiculous, but could i get a hippo tang or foxface rabbitfish, or a powder blue tang in a 100 gallon? 60x18x24 preferably a hippo but any would be amazing. Some say minimum tank size 125, 100, 150, so i need more input. I have a picasso trigger, a valentini puffer, 2 domino damsels, and a little clown.
I have a 100 gallon. I am going to be adding a hippo in about 2 weeks. It is in quarantine. Think I’d you add it small it will be better for the fish and you can have it longer in your tank. If it gets over 6” take it out. But in captivity they should stay about that size you should be fine. Fox face is another option. I would not add a power blue. They grow fast, get big, and can be nasty fish. Good luck

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does baby mean? 1 inch or so? I think you have more than a couple of months. It also depends on how much you feed it. I have a pretty low opinion of LFS, there aren't just any quality ones around me. Hippos are ich magnets, so I strongly recommend quarantine for them.
Decided to get a powder blue. But yeah it was like an inch.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my PBT does not stop swimming. I am pretty much observing him for the entire last two days for aggression towards new fish, and I am getting tired just watching him swim everywhere. It's nonstop. I am thinking 180 minimum.
Yeah mine seems good in the 125 with the six feet, she casually swims around and even started swimming with my other tangs

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 domino damsels, about 3 and 4 inches. 4 inch picasso trigger, 1.5inch clown, 3 inch valentini puffer, and then the pbt is 4inches.
Ah okay might be okay, keep an eye on him for aggression cause they can be nasty. Mines starting to be nasty already at 4 inches

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay might be okay, keep an eye on him for aggression cause they can be nasty. Mines starting to be nasty already at 4 inches
Shouldve listened to you. Damsels are being attacked, wrasse being chased, clown being threatened, puffer being chased, only one thats fine ks the trigger. Not sure what to do. Got school now, 35 mins of driving to return him to not even get the 120$ back. My decisions are really biting my ***. The dude at my lfs literally said, "they'll be fine."

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldve listened to you. Damsels are being attacked, wrasse being chased, clown being threatened, puffer being chased, only one thats fine ks the trigger. Not sure what to do. Got school now, 35 mins of driving to return him to not even get the 120$ back. My decisions are really biting my ***. The dude at my lfs literally said, "they'll be fine."
Not sure if you can see the red but my god im so upset.

Attachments

• 20230827_232133.jpg
    20230827_232133.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 domino damsels, about 3 and 4 inches. 4 inch picasso trigger, 1.5inch clown, 3 inch valentini puffer, and then the pbt is 4inches.
As mentioned earlier- PBT is very nasty. I have 25 tangs and PBT is top jerk followed by Desjardini sailfin

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier- PBT is very nasty. I have 25 tangs and PBT is top jerk followed by Desjardini sailfin
Yeah i was aware, his colors were just so nice. And then the dude at lfs ive heard alot of good things about so i trusted him. Didnt work out.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah LFS people just like to sell the fish thats it where as here people will be up front and honest about the fish since they are not selling them. And these tangs really need that 6 feet for territory. I would catch him and return him honestly, not worth getting all your fish hurt! Try one of the bristletooth tangs, smaller size and not nasty. Only reason I think mine isnt being nasty like that is cause my purple has a nastier temper and doesnt take any crap from her. My PBT actually has a few tail strike marks from my purple who I named Mad Max.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah LFS people just like to sell the fish thats it where as here people will be up front and honest about the fish since they are not selling them. And these tangs really need that 6 feet for territory. I would catch him and return him honestly, not worth getting all your fish hurt! Try one of the bristletooth tangs, smaller size and not nasty. Only reason I think mine isnt being nasty like that is cause my purple has a nastier temper and doesnt take any crap from her. My PBT actually has a few tail strike marks from my purple who I named Mad Max.
But hey learn from this, get him out and find a more friendly fish! These guys do best in aggressive tanks and like @vetteguy53081 said he has 25 tangs and his is nasty too!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow your PBT is above the sailfin in pecking order?? Danggg lol

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But hey learn from this, get him out and find a more friendly fish! These guys do best in aggressive tanks and like @vetteguy53081 said he has 25 tangs and his is nasty too!
Oh yeah i will. I cant find any bristletooths but they have a hippo and some foxfaces. They are both like 1 inch. Would i be able to temporarily keep a hippo until like 6 inches with aggression or would a foxface just be better?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh yeah i will. I cant find any bristletooths but they have a hippo and some foxfaces. They are both like 1 inch. Would i be able to temporarily keep a hippo until like 6 inches with aggression or would a foxface just be better?
Both - yes. Every fish offers a different experience and hippo often gets a bad name while ive seen some worse than a damsel

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back