Hippopus hippopus dinner

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know man. I'm all for respecting other cultures and such, but that clam had to be up there in age just to be chopped up and eaten like that. That kind of ticked me off to be honest with you.
Unfortunately, most cultured clams are for the food industry and not the hobby. We only get a tiny fraction. I totally agree btw, there are certain things we don't need to eat as human beings anymore and a lot of traditions should go away altogether. But that's for another soapbox.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, most cultured clams are for the food industry and not the hobby. We only get a tiny fraction. I totally agree btw, there are certain things we don't need to eat as human beings anymore and a lot of traditions should go away altogether. But that's for another soapbox.
Tridacna are not in any state of decline whatsoever.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tridacna are not in any state of decline whatsoever.
I never said they were, just that we humans will consume almost anything and some of those things shouldn’t be for mass consumption. But I get that certain parts of the world depend on certain foods as a source of nutrition. But that doesn’t mean all things should be on the menu.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.
It’s ok, if people respectfully disagree. This forum is full of people who love their aquarium and the life it supports and life related to it.
I’m an avid hunter and fisherman, a lot of people aren’t. That’s fine. I won’t post a pic of me field dressing a carcass on a PETA forum.
I was impressed with the clams in the videos, just didn’t appreciate it bc as of right now I can’t have one but eventually want one. I’m sure more than a few would agree.
Everyone who has responded has been respectful of culture and you.
No reason for the passive aggressiveness. I’m sure they are probably delicious. And I would probably try one. Just didn’t expect to see it while trying to get my water box ready for a clam is all.
Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think what I was trying to say came across here that well and I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. If we were having this conversation in person, then I could elaborate more on what I was trying to say. I was just having a chat with my son about traditions and that conversation bled into my response. Apologies if my thoughts were offensive in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ppl in certain parts of the world eat mosquito/mud biscuits; while other ppl like to eat whale meat, isolate that out without background doesn't mean anything.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think what I was trying to say came across here that well and I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. If we were having this conversation in person, then I could elaborate more on what I was trying to say. I was just having a chat with my son about traditions and that conversation bled into my response. Apologies if my thoughts were offensive in any way.
Not offensive just silly. Don’t be so silly and check out those clams. Folks gotta eat!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.
It’s ok, if people respectfully disagree. This forum is full of people who love their aquarium and the life it supports and life related to it.
I’m an avid hunter and fisherman, a lot of people aren’t. That’s fine. I won’t post a pic of me field dressing a carcass on a PETA forum.
I was impressed with the clams in the videos, just didn’t appreciate it bc as of right now I can’t have one but eventually want one. I’m sure more than a few would agree.
Everyone who has responded has been respectful of culture and you.
No reason for the passive aggressiveness. I’m sure they are probably delicious. And I would probably try one. Just didn’t expect to see it while trying to get my water box ready for a clam is all.
Have a great day!
I’ve read that tridacna are less evolved than kale. There is actually an argument to be made that vegetarians should eat them based on their simplicity. Pretty cool stuff. That kale screams when you dig it up BROTHA!

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that tridacna are less evolved than kale. There is actually an argument to be made that vegetarians should eat them based on their simplicity. Pretty cool stuff. That kale screams when you dig it up BROTHA!
This is kind of a nonsensical statement, no living species is "less evolved" than anything else. Also tons of organisms produce some kind of alarm signal when damaged or under adverse conditions, even bacteria. I guarantee you by that standard, clams "scream" too.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back