Hitchhiker ID — Crabs and Snails

AlaskaMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just got a batch of “base” rock from TBS and wow! Incredible amount of life already. I have a batch of hitchhikers that I couldn’t readily ID that it’d love some help with:

92E9F228-0C39-433C-B46E-4512B7C5C8DF.jpeg

I assume this is a whelk and not reef safe

8F08CB01-3564-4FD0-AE63-0710651451E1.jpeg

Not sure what this little guy is. I’d love to keep him if he’s safe.

that’s about it for now. I’ll have more probably in a couple of hours haha the amount of life on these rocks is honestly pretty spectacular.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pics aren't great, but the snail looks like a Muricid (Murex) of some kind to me - so it's most likely predatory toward other snails (could be cool in a sump or something though). I don't know on the crab though.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pics aren't great, but the snail looks like a Muricid (Murex) of some kind to me - so it's most likely predatory toward other snails (could be cool in a sump or something though). I don't know on the crab though.
Got reminded by another thread - some crab ID tips:
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
Some crab ID advice: take a pic of the front like you did (mainly to show the claws - good job there - but also a little to show the face), and also take a pic of the back of the crab (take the pic from above the crab looking straight down at it - this shows the shell and back of the crab, which can both be important for ID too).
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
some top-down photos of the crab's back (including some that show the portion of the shell by the crab's back legs) may be helpful with ID

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The crab is likely to make a better breeder box/sump monster than reef inhabitant, but I would be curious to find out what he is, as he doesn't look like the typical stone/gorilla/etc "will eat everything" crabs.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has black or pointed claws take it out if not let it be and keep an eye on what it is feeding on. That what I do.

OP
OP
A

AlaskaMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially for the tips on getting proper pictures of the crab. I’ll make sure to get a few different angels on the next ID I need.

In my journey to find an answer, my girlfriend actually came to the rescue with Google image search.

3ACB954B-F100-40C5-9FE5-FD6F5F34F5FB.png

From which I found this:

92111DD2-C6C4-4BB0-BF6D-6F6C98A77537.jpeg

Which is exactly what it looks like! I ended up removing it from my sump and putting him back in the display where he has been munching on algae and other scraps when I can find him.

I also found some other cool stuff — coral, an anemone (maybe 2?), a baby urchin, various snails, and a little porcelain crab that I haven’t seen since the rock went in. I’ll be posting to TBS’s page once I can collect some good pictures of all this awesome stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back