Hitchhiker ID Help

HKHAIR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please ID what this is? Is it good or bad? Sorry for the bad quality video, but it disappeared and can’t see it to make a better video

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the vid but it's either a bristle worm or a fire worm. Bristle is neutral/good, fire worm is big bad.

Thread 'What is that!! A R2R guide to common new tank hitchhikers.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-is-that-a-r2r-guide-to-common-new-tank-hitchhikers.443382/

Some people remove bristle worms in any form because let's face it, they're ugly, but a lot of folks also just leave them in. They're harmless scavengers and can get into the nooks and crannies of your rock better than most anything else. A surefire way to know if it's bristle vs fire is more often than not fire worms are actively hunting, even during the day. Bristle worms go pretty much unseen until dusk or lights out completely then you can spot em with a flashlight.

If you're concerned you can remove it, make sure it doesn't break or you'll still have a bristle worm, best to get it with tongs when it's fully exposed. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. You'll have a bad time, like fiberglass (bristle) or fiberglass + fire sauce (fire worm) in your fingers.

There are also plans for traps you can find around if you want to remove it.

OP
OP
H

HKHAIR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all the info, really appreciate it. I’ll see if I can figure out what it is after the lights are out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back