Hitchhiker ID please Good or Bad

  • Thread starter Thread starter StarBuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

StarBuck

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Vancouver Island Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received coral shipment from LFS yesterday and this thing was attached to bottom a frag disk. I have it isolated, I have never seen anything like it....is it good or bad? it's 3/4" long. slug, cucumber, nudibranch.
Slug.jpg
 
Looks like a cucumber. Does it have tentacles on top of it's head? Looking at it closely looks like a Navanax Sea Slug.
 
Last edited:
I think it's a sea slug and bad! Not reef safe because they will devour your clean up crew.
 
Received coral shipment from LFS yesterday and this thing was attached to bottom a frag disk. I have it isolated, I have never seen anything like it....is it good or bad? it's 3/4" long. slug, cucumber, nudibranch.
Slug.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is an Arminid nudibranch (taxonomic family Arminidae), probably a Dermatobranchus species - these eat some corals:
The creature above looks like Dermatobranchus striatus, but with a white head and slightly more white-spotting. It might be a different species (there quite a few in the genus, including some that don't have official names yet), but I'd be surprised if it's not a Dermatobranchus sp.
https://en.seaslug.world/species/dermatobranchus_striatus
they're octocoral-eaters, so they may feed on softies, GSP, gorgonians, etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new