Hitchhiker ID

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sadly got this dead coral in the mail but on the plus side I got this zoa anyone have a clue as to what it would be close to?

IMG_20210121_173118506~2.jpg

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some variant of captain jerk, hardy coral and very fast grower (can actually become invasive so best left on an a rock island away from your main rock work if you don’t want to be pruning it constantly.
I was thinking some varient of people eatter? This is my first zoa so I don't really know what I'm talking about lok

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some variant of captain jerk, hardy coral and very fast grower (can actually become invasive so best left on an a rock island away from your main rock work if you don’t want to be pruning it constantly.
Also I just looked that up and the color seems similar but the lashes are shorter and stubbier?

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on another note the coral this came in on is dead. Could it be possible that the zoa released toxin and killed the coral in the close quarters in the shipping bag?

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthid and Palythoa tentacles vary with tank conditions. I would say it's a variant of captain jerk palys, just with short tentacles at the moment. The tentacle length might change as it gets used to your tank environment.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on another note the coral this came in on is dead. Could it be possible that the zoa released toxin and killed the coral in the close quarters in the shipping bag?
Not a bad guess. Low water volume and a little muck from a paly wouldn’t be great for the other coral. As a note- not all palys have palytoxin but all palys have a defense mucus that could harm an adjacent coral.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad guess. Low water volume and a little muck from a paly wouldn’t be great for the other coral. As a note- not all palys have palytoxin but all palys have a defense mucus that could harm an adjacent coral.
So on the note of the toxin. The reason I haven't gotten into zoa's/plays is for the reason of the toxin. I have young children and dogs. I also live in a very small house with no real (prep/work area) so the chance of me having to frag these and some toxin get on something that the family has access to worries me. Is it that bad? I have watched countless videos and it's crazy how half the people arnt using any ppe have the coral out in the air and are going full freddy kruegar on the polyps. Am I being overly cautious

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So on the note of the toxin. The reason I haven't gotten into zoa's/plays is for the reason of the toxin. I have young children and dogs. I also live in a very small house with no real (prep/work area) so the chance of me having to frag these and some toxin get on something that the family has access to worries me. Is it that bad? I have watched countless videos and it's crazy how half the people arnt using any ppe have the coral out in the air and are going full freddy kruegar on the polyps. Am I being overly cautious
Toxins no good but as long as it is not cut or mishandled, no worries. Run chemipure blue when keeping paly/zoa which will abdsorb toxins.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bunch on r2r documenting palytoxins by professionals; it deserves awareness but can be over dramatized. With the appropriate precautions, you can safely enjoy zoas & palys; it is my understanding most of the colorful ones we want in our tanks do not carry palytoxins- any tank that has zoas should have carbon on hand- not for the humans but for the other corals.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bunch on r2r documenting palytoxins by professionals; it deserves awareness but can be over dramatized. With the appropriate precautions, you can safely enjoy zoas & palys; it is my understanding most of the colorful ones we want in our tanks do not carry palytoxins- any tank that has zoas should have carbon on hand- not for the humans but for the other corals.
So carbon or chemipure blue?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So carbon or chemipure blue?
I keep carbon on hand to remove impurities from the water. I cannot speak to chemipure as I’ve never used it though I imagine it is a mix of carbon and other things for phosphates.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admittedly don’t use gloves or glasses when I frag zoas, but I definitely should. As mentioned above, not all zoas/palys actually have the Palytoxin. Even if they do have the toxin, as long as the zoas aren’t being disturbed, it’s not an issue. :)

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admittedly don’t use gloves or glasses when I frag zoas, but I definitely should. As mentioned above, not all zoas/palys actually have the Palytoxin. Even if they do have the toxin, as long as the zoas aren’t being disturbed, it’s not an issue. :)
Haha so cutting in them isn't disturbing them?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha so cutting in them isn't disturbing them?
It is, but if you do it gently, you can reduce the amount of stress you put on them. If you’re prodding and poking them, trying to find the right angle to cut, it could cause more stress, increasing the chance of toxins

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back