Hitchhiker shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sump
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sump

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Portland
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I am just getting back into the hobby and discovered a couple of these little guys on a piece of coral that came in last night. The largest one is about 4mm. They remind me a lot of a mantis shrimp, but the claws seem wrong. I also couldn't find any information on a species this small. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG00010.jpg IMG00013.jpg
 
Maybe a Tanaidacea of some sort?

​

 
After a quick google, I think you may be right. Any reason I shouldn't add them to my tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new