Hitmans 600 gallon predator build

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of room to run it which ever way, I’ve just never done a Herbie style so the design is new to me. So I’ll stick with 1-1/2” on both drains with a Spears gate valve on one. How much taller should the unrestricted emergency tube be compared to the full siphon tube in the overflow? Seeing it’s in the design phase yet where is the best location for the valve for the full siphon line?
You want the emergency drain to come up to where you want the water line to be

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a little slow going the last few days. With the heat and humidity I just can’t bring myself to spend much time outside to do all the cutting of the pvc and such. I’ve perfected sitting in my recliner and starring at the wall tho!!! LOL

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a little slow going the last few days. With the heat and humidity I just can’t bring myself to spend much time outside to do all the cutting of the pvc and such. I’ve perfected sitting in my recliner and starring at the wall tho!!! LOL
Cheers to that!

My AC goes in as soon as it gets over 75. Religiously.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it cooled off enough to do some cutting today. 3/4” plywood wrap was installed after the 3 coats of polyurethane dried, 1/8” Birch veneer wrap over the plywood is drying now, Oak trim should arrive at my local Lowe’s tomorrow. I’ll be picking up all the 2” and 1-1/2” plumbing while I’m getting my trim.
I still can’t get over how small my 240 reef looks in the background of this thing. Lol
The wife is over the mess and it’s just started!!! Lol for reference that’s a 8 foot 2x4 laying on the ground in front of the tank.
D82FFA5A-123D-4331-8B93-E695F2BD70D7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 lbs of live sand ordered today, petsmart has the Oceans Direct 40lbs bags on sale for $28!!! My UPS lady is going to hate me lol Rock is cured, 150 gallons of water made, making another batch now, tank should be half filled by Friday.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the sand showed up today the other half will be here in the morning. I got in big trouble with the wife tonight. Apparently it’s not ok to use her new Dyson vacuum to clean the dust out of the tank!!! She took picture so she had proof as she yelled at me!!! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
9A99F18F-E432-41F3-85A3-BB8173432ED3.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the sand showed up today the other half will be here in the morning. I got in big trouble with the wife tonight. Apparently it’s not ok to use her new Dyson vacuum to clean the dust out of the tank!!! She took picture so she had proof as she yelled at me!!! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
9A99F18F-E432-41F3-85A3-BB8173432ED3.jpeg

Hahaha... classic! Nice color too.

Your progress is impressive on such a big project... keep swimmin man. Cant wait to see the birch veneer.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a slight hiccup tonight. Added the sand and water this morning, failed to remember I never glued the return plumbing at the UV, spent the day with the family at the PRCA Rodeo came home to a soaking wet floor. Yea the elbow at the UV came off and dumped about 30 gallons of water all over the floor! I just got done cleaning that mess. Looks like I have some PVC gluing to finish so I can shower and hit the sack;Sorry

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a slight hiccup tonight. Added the sand and water this morning, failed to remember I never glued the return plumbing at the UV, spent the day with the family at the PRCA Rodeo came home to a soaking wet floor. Yea the elbow at the UV came off and dumped about 30 gallons of water all over the floor! I just got done cleaning that mess. Looks like I have some PVC gluing to finish so I can shower and hit the sack;Sorry

Oh man sorry to hear that... which uv did u go with?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I can think of saying isn't approved on a family friendly forum. Yikes! ;Jawdrop

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I can think of saying isn't approved on a family friendly forum. Yikes! ;Jawdrop
Nor were the words that came out of my mouth when I went down there last night, was not a proud moment by any means ;Sorry

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 Watt Pentair Aquatics it’s a beast!

Over the last year I've had an ear around UV threads etc... pentair is always a name that pops up with good reviews. Top notch from what I have read (which is a lot)

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to BRS having their 4th sale my dream pumps became reality today! Two A400’s will arrive next week!!!
But 2 of the 72” Reef Brite Pros ( 1 Actinic & 1 50/50 ) , 6 ATI 80 watt Blue+ T5 bulbs, Reef Octopus 6” waste collector, and a few small items will arrive tomorrow!
If your in the market for a Abyzz BRS has them on a 20% off sale right now!!!

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you got the tank through WUW. I think I was in there getting some water when it was delivered.
Two of my 3 tanks came from them. Awesome place. I just wish they weren't so far from me.
Was there a blue Lambo out front?
Wifey was in pimp mode that day.
DD2FC502-C4B9-47D3-B9F3-8E178F3CFFFD.jpeg

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great store with great people. I'm sure we have crossed paths in there as even know it's a 40 minute drive we are there a lot. Always seems to be a nice car there too!
3CABAF53-300D-4035-9EDB-07F07F09C320.jpeg

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are you people?!? ;Greedy Lamborghini's to the fish store?!? Wow.

Aside from that this tank is amazing! I wanted a Vlamingi tang so bad, but alas my tank is only about 380 gal and I was told he wouldn't be happy. Can't wait to see pics! So sorry to see the eel and lionfish didn't make it.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are you people?!? ;Greedy Lamborghini's to the fish store?!? Wow.

Aside from that this tank is amazing! I wanted a Vlamingi tang so bad, but alas my tank is only about 380 gal and I was told he wouldn't be happy. Can't wait to see pics! So sorry to see the eel and lionfish didn't make it.
A Vlamingi Tang will be fine in a 380 gallon. They grow fairly slow. The two I have grew from 2” to about 4” in the year I’ve had them. From my understanding it takes 5+ years to get anywhere near full size and in captivity I hear they only get to about 13” so about the size of most groupers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back