Hmmm, what is this?

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably 8-12 of these rather odd, almost cocoon looking, things. Some hanging from a pump, a few on a powerhead and even some on the heater bracket. It's really difficult with my phone to get a picture that is clear and better focused. If needed, I'll get my DSL out for a few shots.
I tried to get one close up and one that showed a little bit of perspective. These things are all about 1cm tall with a base that is about a 1/2 cm.
They look easy enough to remove if necessary.
@Lionfish Lair I didn't see them in hitchhiker guide, if I missed them let me know!

all under pump.jpg
an ID.jpg

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so! Yea! Mine are a bit more conical, but I'm pretty sure those are it. Thank you!
The best thing about this is that I thought to myself when I first started seeing them, "sponges of some kind?" but being new and all I doubted it. I must be learning! ;)

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pineapple sponges. How new is the tank? I had a bunch early on and they eventually disappeared on their own

Tricky question. The life of the tank started about 4 years ago. I acquired the entire set up including livestock 16 months ago, the only thing I changed was the water and the sand. I had a heater malfunction this past August, killing all of the livestock. Restarted it in September. So this chapter is working on it's 8th month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back