Hob filter ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Hosscooper, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Hosscooper

Hosscooper Active Member

My hob mechanical filter has gone out on me. The question is do i really need one? I'm soon to install a chateo reactor but that's not exactly a filter like a sponge or filter pad. I have plenty of live rock and plenty of flow. Should I replace it or not worry about it.

Ergodyne likes this.
    Tags:

2. Ergodyne

Ergodyne Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Do you have any other kind of filtration? What size tank?
    Some more details would be a great help in giving a more thought out opinion on your filtration needs and recommended equipment. :)

3. Hosscooper

Hosscooper Active Member

Sorry your right. 55gal and no sump our any other mechanical filtration just the live rock. I know mechanical filtration is good, ie filter socks and the like but it's it necessary? Never liked it much anyhow. If it is good and needed what are some other options?

Ergodyne likes this.
  4. Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa Well-Known Member

It's all depend on your system.
    If you have fishes then mechanical filter is needed just to keep water clean out of big particles and fish waste not floating around in your tank.
    If you keep only coral or anything that not needed to feed with frozen food then there is no filter needed as you long have enough water circulation for gas exchange.

5. Ergodyne

I agree with the above. I would definitely still want some form of mechanical filtration for particulates in the water column with fish.

If you end up looking for a new HoB filter, seachem Tidal filters and the aquaclear filters are generally preferred for saltwater.
    They have some features other HoB’s don’t.

Yuki Rihwa and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  6. Hosscooper

Hosscooper Active Member

I do gave fish and corals, softies, too. So what are some other options besides hob filters? Will look at those filters you mentioned.

Ergodyne likes this.
  7. Ergodyne

Other options would be other hang on back equipment like a protein skimmer, which is not going to help much with particulates, but definitely helps with dissolved organic matter.

I can’t think of any other filtration options. Those are the two as far as I know. Hang on back equipment, or a sump.
    There are a few odds and ends that can operate submerged in the display, but...

Yuki Rihwa and saltyfilmfolks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted