HOB Skimmer Recommendation

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone using out there for an HOB Skimmer? I have a 46g bowfront with a pair of clowns, flame angel, and a dottyback. Zoa/mushroom dominated, a few LPS/softies. Right now I have an aquamaxx HOB but it’s been unreliable at best. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, also looking to upgrade my Eshopps HOB skimmer.. It has worked ok, but the pump is randomly noisy and leaks a few drops here and there until I adjust and re-adjust the pump inlet tightness..

Have seen a number of recommendations for the Reef Octopus 90 HOB, maybe overkill for us in the 46-55 range but worth a note. I may head this direction anyway..

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ Thanks for pointing that out,
Strike one for not reading the whole post.

boogie79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got the Aquamaxx during a BRS sale a few weeks ago and had nothing but problems from bubbles, overflow from the cup and intake. It was to the point of being scared to leave the room while it was on.

So I unplugged and did some research, combined a lot of ideas from various sources.

1. I had an air leak from the connector to the motor. I don't know if it's a manufacture defect but the connector never felt snug against the motor and would easily come off (when sliding it into the skimmer), put a little coral glue around it and now I see no air leaks or small bubbles on that side of the skimmer. I also secured the hose with a tiny o-ring around the connector and put more coral glue around the o-ring (in my head, I'm thinking I'm blocking possible chemicals getting in the water from the o-ring, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

2. I also bought a stronger o-ring to hold the cup. The o-ring that comes with skimmer would not hold the cup or stop it from sinking once it got a little greasy no matter how many times I wiped it off. Got the o-ring from home depot (The DANCO Spout #5 O-rings).

3. Now I'm doing the vinegar/water method with a bucket in the sink. I had it run for an hour last night, there were no leaks anywhere and it ran great. I'm going to run it again today, clean everything and put it back on the tank to see how it goes.

4. I also filled it the skimmer just past the nozzles and let the skimmer do the rest. At first I was filling it up to the two screws, and water would leak from the intake every time.

I'll reply to this thread if this works or not.

Beyond frustrated with the poorly written instructions, even the video didn't help. I think these companies forget that some are beginners and will need a little more than black and white photos and videos with jump cuts with no explanation of what went where and why.

Last edited:

boogie79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got the Aquamaxx during a BRS sale a few weeks ago and had nothing but problems from bubbles, overflow from the cup and intake. It was to the point of being scared to leave the room while it was on.

So I unplugged and did some research, combined a lot of ideas from various sources.

1. I had an air leak from the connector to the motor. I don't know if it's a manufacture defect but the connector never felt snug against the motor and would easily come off (when sliding it into the skimmer), put a little coral glue around it and now I see no air leaks or small bubbles on that side of the skimmer. I also secured the hose with a tiny o-ring around the connector and put more coral glue around the o-ring (in my head, I'm thinking I'm blocking possible chemicals getting in the water from the o-ring, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

2. I also bought a stronger o-ring to hold the cup. The o-ring that comes with skimmer would not hold the cup or stop it from sinking once it got a little greasy no matter how many times I wiped it off. Got the o-ring from home depot (The DANCO Spout #5 O-rings).

3. Now I'm doing the vinegar/water method with a bucket in the sink. I had it run for an hour last night, there were no leaks anywhere and it ran great. I'm going to run it again today, clean everything and put it back on the tank to see how it goes.

4. I also filled it the skimmer just past the nozzles and let the skimmer do the rest. At first I was filling it up to the two screws, and water would leak from the intake every time.

I'll reply to this thread if this works or not.

Beyond frustrated with the poorly written instructions, even the video didn't help. I think these companies forget that some are beginners and will need a little more than black and white photos and videos with jump cuts with no explanation of what went where and why.
Update:

The skimmer is working great. I had it run all weekend (even left the house multiple times) with no leaks. I did have one small issue, the bubble diffuser detached from the motor, coral glue to the rescue. I put a valve on the air hose to control the air flow better. This prevented leaking from the intake.

Overall: I can't imagine paying 300+ and having to do all this to get it to work. It's a great skimmer (when it works) but get it on sale if you can.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back