HOB Skimmers - flood if you don’t empty the cup?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have limited sump space because I’m a moron and didn’t look up skimmer footprints before siliconing in the glass dividers and have too much space to the fuge and now have maybe 2 in sump skimmers I could use. I could spend another 60 bucks on making another one, but that seems wasteful, and I don’t want to try cut the current glass dividers out to reuse because I can see that going badly.

So… HOB skimmers? These seem like maybe a good option for me, but I’m concerned about floods. If the collection cup fills up or they overfoam - where does it go? So they have a chute that dumps it in the tank, or does it dump on the floor?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have limited sump space because I’m a moron and didn’t look up skimmer footprints before siliconing in the glass dividers and have too much space to the fuge and now have maybe 2 in sump skimmers I could use. I could spend another 60 bucks on making another one, but that seems wasteful, and I don’t want to try cut the current glass dividers out to reuse because I can see that going badly.

So… HOB skimmers? These seem like maybe a good option for me, but I’m concerned about floods. If the collection cup fills up or they overfoam - where does it go? So they have a chute that dumps it in the tank, or does it dump on the floor?
Depends on the skimmer. Cannot picture a design though where you could not just drill and tap a 1/4 npt to barb and hook up an external catch can.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back