HOB Tidal Filter

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve researched about setting up a QT. Good HOB filters are the Tidal and AquaClear. I already have an AquaClear on my QT. I’m looking into getting the Tidal, but it has a surface skimmer built in. Wanted to know if the skimmer would pull medications out of the water?

BRS

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
I think all that thing is doing is giving the surface of the tank a place to overflow so it doesn't have a film on it. If there was mechanical filter media (floss or whatever) in there it would catch the particles/oil floating on the surface. Without a mechanical filter it'll just keep stuff circulating (but still keep scum from accumulating on the surface).

Nothing dissolved in the water should be affected I wouldn't think.

"Skim" has a different definition here than it does in a protein skimmer.

OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think all that thing is doing is giving the surface of the tank a place to overflow so it doesn't have a film on it. If there was mechanical filter media (floss or whatever) in there it would catch the particles/oil floating on the surface. Without a mechanical filter it'll just keep stuff circulating (but still keep scum from accumulating on the surface).

Nothing dissolved in the water should be affected I wouldn't think.

"Skim" has a different definition here than it does in a protein skimmer.
Ok thank you for the reply!

Jay Hemdal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve researched about setting up a QT. Good HOB filters are the Tidal and AquaClear. I already have an AquaClear on my QT. I’m looking into getting the Tidal, but it has a surface skimmer built in. Wanted to know if the skimmer would pull medications out of the water?

Skimmers can remove praziquantel from the water, and may remove some antibiotics. I typically suggest they continue to run (for good aeration) during treatments, but just don't collect any skimmate from them.

Jay

Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

• Rubble

Votes: 94 35.2%
  • Larger Rock

Votes: 73 27.3%
  • Nothing

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 30 11.2%
Santa Monica Filtration