Hole like object on side of wrasse

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started as 2 little white spots that completely disappeared and a day later, this shows up? What is this?!?!

IMG_7685.jpeg IMG_7680.jpeg IMG_7681.jpeg IMG_7682.jpeg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly flukes, uronema or viral hemorrhagic septicemia for starters. Is this guy in a hospital tank or QT now?

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly flukes, uronema or viral hemorrhagic septicemia for starters. Is this guy in a hospital tank or QT now?
Copper QT. He is a new addition. Along with flame hawkfish. But he is showing no symptoms of anything. And is eating very well.

The wrasse though, on and off. Looks healthy, then looks awful. Back and forth. But each time, it looks worse.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper QT. He is a new addition. Along with flame hawkfish. But he is showing no symptoms of anything. And is eating very well.

The wrasse though, on and off. Looks healthy, then looks awful. Back and forth. But each time, it looks worse.
They’re tough little guys that don’t always show stress until it’s too late. Wrasse seem to have more problems with septicemia and bacterial infections. So possibly parasitic, viral or bacterial. I would do a freshwater dip (buffer the water to match your tank pH) for a couple minutes to see how it tolerates it and you can use praziquantel in the tank water. If the wrasse will eat, you can preferably treat food with SeaChem Neoplex or Metroplex. If it won’t eat, it probably too late. I have in the past taken chances to treat the lesion with Hydrogen Peroxide directly on the lesion, but that’s a pretty small fish you can’t apply it to without stressing it a lot.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is good for parasites in a QT tank of course and try to have Neoplex and Paziquantel on hand to treat bacterial and viral issues. Sores are a bad sign and not very treatable most of the time. Most people don’t maintain the water quality in QT tanks as well. Remember that without beneficial bacteria any left over food can degrade water quality right away and pH is very important when trying to keep a fish free of additional stress in a QT situation.

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is good for parasites in a QT tank of course and try to have Neoplex and Paziquantel on hand to treat bacterial and viral issues. Sores are a bad sign and not very treatable most of the time. Most people don’t maintain the water quality in QT tanks as well. Remember that without beneficial bacteria any left over food can degrade water quality right away and pH is very important when trying to keep a fish free of additional stress in a QT situation.
I have prazipro on hand. What can I do??

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have prazipro on hand. What can I do??
Not much else at this point except the freshwater dip. The copper is stressful on a fish already and antibiotics are less effective or certain ones not good with copper. If there was some guarantee just keep pictures and maybe even send them an email with pictures just to let them know. Don’t stress the fish more transporting him anywhere. I don’t think it was anything you did and this type of lesion is something that happens on occasion and sometimes the fish is dead before it’s even noticed. Six Lines going from tank to tank is where I would say most issues of infection or virus show themselves, not because of acclimation but because of stress or other medications in holding tanks like copper that can suppress the immune system. If your tank pH and temperature are correct, I believe acclimation has very little to do with bacterial or viral infections that were there when you got the fish. I’m sorry, I know it sucks but they’re coming in from the wild so something like 70%-80% have a parasite or virus of some kind but like other animals it’s usually not a problem until the immune system is suppressed and it’s clearly stressful to the nervous system for wild fish. It’s not rough handling or bad facilities with bad water quality, the importers and wholesalers that I have ever seen in person do a really good job keeping things clean. I see them look for the healthiest fish when they pull them for orders and I’ve never seen anything that I would say is inhumane in any way. Let me know if I can help with any questions you have I might be able to answer. I don’t mind explaining things more in depth or pointing you toward better sources of information on a subject.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started as 2 little white spots that completely disappeared and a day later, this shows up? What is this?!?!

IMG_7685.jpeg IMG_7680.jpeg IMG_7681.jpeg IMG_7682.jpeg
While the protozoan Uronema is common in new wrasses, this k look lesion seems shallow and has a ring around it. That points more to an external bacterial infection. The treatment for that would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.

As a side note - did you just feed the tank? I see a lot of particles on the bottom. You want to be careful not to over feed, as the uneaten food can foul the water and raise bacterial levels.

Jay

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the protozoan Uronema is common in new wrasses, this k look lesion seems shallow and has a ring around it. That points more to an external bacterial infection. The treatment for that would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.

As a side note - did you just feed the tank? I see a lot of particles on the bottom. You want to be careful not to over feed, as the uneaten food can foul the water and raise bacterial levels.

Jay
Looking slightly worse. All I have antibiotic wise is kanaplex and metroplex which both treat bacterial diseases. Should I give that a try? I don’t think I have time to order neoplex. Updated pics below from just now.

And yes. Particles are from feeding. Hawkfish cleans up nicely

Attachments

• IMG_7700.jpeg
    IMG_7700.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7703.jpeg
    IMG_7703.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 9

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking slightly worse. All I have antibiotic wise is kanaplex and metroplex which both treat bacterial diseases. Should I give that a try? I don’t think I have time to order neoplex. Updated pics below from just now.

And yes. Particles are from feeding. Hawkfish cleans up nicely
Yes, that does look like an aggressive infection. Kanaplex would be your best bet, metronidazole has limited antibiotic activity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back